1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Classical Mechanics challenge for fun

1. Mar 14, 2017 #1
    I composed a problem and propose it here. I know the solution so it just for fun of the participants.

There is a cylindrical bobbin of radius ##r##; the bobbin rotates about its central axis with angular velocity ##\omega=const>0##. An inextensible weightless string is coiled around the bobbin. The string is very thin and very long. On a free end of the string there is a point mass ##m##. Let ##l=l(t)## stand for the length of the free part of the string. There is no gravity.
    Initially the value ##l_0=l(0)>0## and the velocity ##v=\frac{d}{dt} l\mid_{t=0}## are given. Moreover it is known that ##-\omega r<v<0##. Find minimal value of the function ##l(t)## that is ##\min_{t\ge 0}l(t)## -- ?.
    We consider motion such that the string remains strained for all time

506af59672cf.png

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 14, 2017 #2
    Sounds like an interesting problem. I've seen similar ones in graduate qualifiers in the classical mechanics section.

4. Mar 16, 2017 #3
    After some discussion we are allowing this as a stand alone but unofficial challenge. Good luck!

5. Mar 17, 2017 #4
    the Lagrangian is
    $$L\Big(l,\frac{d l}{dt}\Big)=\frac{m}{2}\Big(l^2\omega^2+\frac{l^2}{r^2}\Big(\frac{d l}{dt}\Big)^2 \Big);$$
    the answer is $$l_0\sqrt{1-\Big(\frac{v}{\omega r}\Big)^2}$$

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted