1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A conjugacy class under O(n), orthogonal projection

1. Jun 11, 2012 #1
    This is not really a homework question per se but I wasn't sure where else to put it:

In a script I'm reading the following set is defined:

[itex]P(n)_k := \{p \in S(n) | p^2 = p, \text{trace } p = k\}[/itex]

(i.e. the set of all real orthogonal projection matrices with trace k).

Now the following statement is made:

"[itex]P(n)_k[/itex] is a submanifold of the affine space [itex]S(n)_k[/itex] since it is the conjugacy class of the matrix [itex]p_0 = \begin{pmatrix}I_k && 0 \\ 0 && 0\\ \end{pmatrix}[/itex], i.e. the orbit of [itex]p_0[/itex] under the action of the group O(n) on S(n) by conjugation."

([itex]S(n)_k[/itex] is the set of all real symmetric matrices with trace k.)

I don't understand the second part of this statement. The conjugacy class should be:

[itex]\{Ap_0A^{-1} | A \in O(n)\} = \{Ap_0A^{t} | A \in O(n)\} =[/itex]

[itex] \{\begin{pmatrix}a_{11}^2 && 0 && ... && 0 && ... && 0 \\ 0 && a_{22}^2 && ... && 0 && ... \\ 0 && 0 && ... && a_{kk}^2 && ... && 0 \\ 0 && 0 && 0 && 0 && ... && 0\end{pmatrix} | (a_{ij}) \in O(n)\}[/itex]

and I don't see why this equals [itex]P(n)_k[/itex]. (Or maybe my calculation is wrong.)

Last edited: Jun 11, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 11, 2012 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I'm lost at how you found

That doesn't seem correct at all.

4. Jun 11, 2012 #3
    You're right. I don't know what happened there. I'll take a look at this again.

5. Jun 11, 2012 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Some keywords which might help: "diagonalization of symmetric matrices"

6. Jun 13, 2012 #5
    Hey! First of all, thank you for your help! I didn't get back to this in the last couple of days but I will take a closer look tomorrow.

7. Jun 15, 2012 #6
    Ok, I figured this out. Thank you.

Just one more thing: I can't really follow why this makes the conjugacy class a submanifold. I know that certain kinds of orbit spaces are manifolds but this is not true for every group action, and I couldn't find anything on conjugacy classes always being submanifolds.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook