A conjugate of two permutations question

In summary: And then, for the remaining elements, there are multiple choices for what they should be sent to. In summary, the conversation is about finding the conjugate a that satisfies x1 = ax2a-1. The solution for a is (1 6 8)(2 3 7 5), but the process for obtaining it is not clear. The method of lining up cycles does not work in this case and there are multiple choices for what elements should be sent to.
Ryker

Homework Statement

Suppose [itex]x_{1} = \begin{pmatrix}
2 & 9 & 6 \\
\end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix}
3 & 5 & 8 \\
4 & 7 \\
\end{pmatrix}[/itex] and [itex]x_{2} = \begin{pmatrix}
1 & 5 & 9 \\
2 & 7 & 6 \\
3 & 4 \\
\end{pmatrix}.[/itex]

Determine the conjugate a, so that x1 = ax2a-1.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the solution is a = (1 6 8)(2 3 7 5), since we did this in class. However, we didn't really explain how we got to this solution. And I can do conjugates where you just line up the cycles one under the other, but this method doesn't work here, because, say 1 does not get sent to 2, and 5 not to 9, as you'd assume if you just wrote (1 5 9) above (2 9 6).

I really want to figure this out, but this example really puzzles me, as I haven't yet found the general method, and the fact that x2,i = a(x1,i) doesn't really help me here.

Anyways, any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what you mean by "line up the cycles" but I think you meant writing [itex]x_1[/itex] as
[tex]\begin{pmatrix}1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & 5 & 6 & 7 & 8 & 9 \\1 & 6 & 5 & 7 & 3 & 9 & 4 & 5 & 2\end{pmatrix}[/tex]
and [itex]x_2[/itex] as
[tex]\begin{pmatrix}1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & 5 & 6 & 7 & 8 & 9 \\9 & 6 & 4 & 3 & 1 & 7 & 2 & 8 & 5\end{pmatrix}[/tex]

Do you see how I got that? (I am assuming you are using the convention that your permutations work from right to left.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I can follow that, but I can't seem to be able to make the next step then. For example, it isn't obvious to me why a sends 1 to 6 instead of say, to 2 or 9.

1. What is a conjugate of two permutations?

A conjugate of two permutations is a new permutation that results from rearranging the elements of one permutation according to the order given by another permutation. This is typically represented by writing one permutation inside parentheses and placing it to the right of the other permutation, separated by a vertical line.

2. How do you compute the conjugate of two permutations?

To compute the conjugate of two permutations, you first write the two permutations side by side, with the second one on top. Then, you use the elements of the second permutation to rearrange the elements of the first permutation. For example, if the first permutation is (1 2 3 4) and the second permutation is (3 1 4 2), the conjugate would be (2 3 4 1).

3. What is the significance of conjugates in mathematics?

Conjugates of permutations are important in mathematics because they allow us to study groups of permutations and their properties in a more efficient way. By conjugating a permutation, we can transform it into a different form that may be easier to analyze or understand. This technique is particularly useful in the study of symmetry and group theory.

4. Can two different permutations have the same conjugate?

Yes, it is possible for two different permutations to have the same conjugate. For example, the permutations (1 2 3) and (3 1 2) have the same conjugate (2 3 1). This happens when the two permutations have a similar structure, such as being reflections or rotations of each other.

5. What are some real-life applications of conjugates of permutations?

Conjugates of permutations have many applications in real-life situations, particularly in the fields of cryptography and coding theory. They are used to create secret codes and ciphers that can be easily decrypted using the correct permutation. They are also used in error-correcting codes to rearrange data in a way that minimizes errors during transmission and storage.