A couple few things I've always wondered:

• Thread starter WatermelonPig
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Couple
In summary, the conversation discusses a few incorrect tricks involving algebraic equations and roots, such as (-2)^3 = ((-2)^6)^(1/2) = (64)^(1/2) = 8 and 1 = -1. It is explained that these tricks are not valid for all complex numbers, and that Euler's treatise on Algebra provides a thorough explanation of these concepts.
WatermelonPig
Just a couple tricks which are obviously incorrect, but why?

6/2 = 3

(-2)^3 = -8

(A^B)^C = A^(BC)

(-2)^3 = ((-2)^6)^(1/2) = (64)^(1/2) = 8

1/-1 = -1/1

sqrt(1/-1) = sqrt(-1/1)

1/i = i/1 And then multiply both sides by i

1 = -1

So what is happening here.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
[tex]2=\sqrt{4}=2^{1/2}=((-2)^2)^{1/2}=-2^{2/2}=-2.[/tex]

See here for an explanation.

WatermelonPig said:
Just a couple tricks which are obviously incorrect, but why?

6/2 = 3

(-2)^3 = -8

(A^B)^C = A^(BC)

(-2)^3 = ((-2)^6)^(1/2) = (64)^(1/2) = 8

1/-1 = -1/1

sqrt(1/-1) = sqrt(-1/1)

1/i = i/1 And then multiply both sides by i

1 = -1

So what is happening here.

"Read Euler, Read Euler, he's master of us all".
Read Euler's elements of Algebra. he has explained all these in his treatise on Algebra.
the last one is incorrect because sqrt(A)sqrt(B) = sqrt(AB) is not valid for all complex numbers. (It is valid for real numbers though, but if we think of them as functions then these two functions are not equal because they can have different domains).

What is the meaning of "A couple few things I've always wondered?"

The phrase "A couple few things I've always wondered" is often used to introduce a list of things that someone has been curious about or wants to discuss. It implies that there are a handful of specific topics or questions that have been on the speaker's mind for some time.

Why do people say "a couple few" instead of just "a couple" or "a few"?

The phrase "a couple few" is a colloquial or informal expression that is used for emphasis. It is often used in casual conversation or writing to suggest that there are more than just a couple or a few things, but not enough to be considered many.

Is there a difference between "a couple few" and "a few"?

Yes, there is a subtle difference between the two phrases. "A few" typically refers to a small number of items, while "a couple few" implies a slightly larger number. It is often used to suggest that there are more than just a few things, but not enough to be considered many.

What are some examples of "a couple few things" that people might wonder about?

Some examples of "a couple few things" that people might wonder about could include common questions about everyday life, such as why we yawn or why the sky is blue. It could also include more personal questions, such as why we behave a certain way or why we have certain fears or anxieties.

Is it grammatically correct to say "a couple few things"?

The phrase "a couple few things" is not considered grammatically correct in formal writing or speech. However, it is often used in informal or colloquial contexts, and its meaning is generally understood by native English speakers. In formal writing, it is best to use either "a couple" or "a few" to avoid confusion or potential errors.