1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Couple of Probability & Statistics Questions

1. Jan 13, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have a table with a data set #, and 2 variables (W and P) with values in the table.

2. Relevant equations
    The equation (which I don't know what it means) says V= (summation with n on top and i=1 below Wi X Pi)/(summation with n on top and i=1 on bottom X Pi)

3. The attempt at a solution

What are the summations meaning and what do the subscript "i"'s mean?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2009 #2
    Questions 2 is "You are reviewing a business decision where you have calculated the profit for 5 possible business scenarios. If the probabilities of occurrence for four of the scenarios are 12%, 10%, 21%, and 30% respectively; what is the percent probability of occurence for the fifth scenario.

Does this question even make sense?
  4. Jan 13, 2009 #3
    I read that as "there are exactly 5 possible scenarios". In a valid probability-model, what do you know about the sum of all possible probabilities?

5. Jan 13, 2009 #4
    27%. I love when they are easier than you think!! Thank you!

Anybody have an idea about the first one?
  6. Jan 13, 2009 #5

Gold Member

What is X? Should that just be Pi?

Anyway, the top summation means that you are starting from the "i=1" data point (i.e. the first W and P), multiplying W and P, then doing the same for the second data points (i=2) all the way up to the n'th W and P, and then adding them all up.

In general,

[tex]\sum _{i=a} ^{n} f(i) = f(a) + f(a+1) + f(a+2) + ... + f(n) [/tex]

So it just means that you start with i=a, and plug it into the function f(i). Then continuously increase 'i' by integer steps until you get to i=n, each time plugging it into the function f(i). Then simply add each f(i) that you calculated along the way.

So in your cases:

[tex]\sum _{i=1} ^{n} W_i P_i = W_1P_1+W_2P_2+...+W_nP_n [/tex]

[tex]\sum _{i=1} ^{n} P_i = P_1+P_2+...+P_n [/tex]
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2009
  7. Jan 13, 2009 #6
    Awesome! Thank you!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?