1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A cylinder rolls without slipping- find the angle

1. Nov 7, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A cylinder with radius R and mass M rolls without slipping down an incline plane with angle[tex]\theta[/tex]. The coeff. of friction is [tex]\mu[/tex]. Find the maximum value for the angle for the cylinder to roll without slipping.

2. Relevant equations

The moment of inertia for a cylinder is I=(MR^2)/2.
    w=v/r

3. The attempt at a solution

If the cylinder rolls without slipping, energy must be conserved. So Mgh=1/2Mv^2+1/2Iw^2. If you plug in the equations from above and divide all terms by M, gh=3/4v^2.
    So we need to find v.
    The equation for the x-component of force (where x is along the plane of the incline), F=mg(cos[tex]\theta[/tex]-[tex]\mu[/tex])=ma
    and the y-component
    F=0=N-mgsin[tex]\theta[/tex] or N=mgsin[tex]\theta[/tex]

I have no idea where to go from here and I'm not quite sure I did all of this right. Thank you so much for any help!!
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2009 #2
    You should think when you will have the minimum value of angle.When you have the maximum of static friction.Also i think you have a mistake.In the direction of the slope the forces are Wy=mgsinθ and T<=μN

4. Nov 7, 2009 #3
    Also N=mgcosθ not mgsinθ

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook