A Critical Value for Transition in Differential Equations

• Thread starter ehabmozart
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Value
In summary, the conversation discusses solving a specific initial value problem (IVP) involving a differential equation (DE). The general solution is found to be y= ∏2a/4t2 - cost/t2, but the critical value a0 is needed to transition between two types of behavior. The question arises about the meaning of the critical value and its relation to the limit of y(t) as t approaches 0 in dependence on a.
ehabmozart

Homework Statement

Q) ty' + 2y = (sin t)/t, y(−π/2) = a, t < 0 . Let a0 be
the value of a for which the transition from one type of behavior to another occurs.Solve the IVP and find the critical value a0 exactly.

Homework Equations

DE

The Attempt at a Solution

I can easily manage to get the general solution. After a series of work, I ended with y= ∏2a/4t2 - cost/t2 . My biggest problem here is getting a0, the critical value. I mean what is exactly the critical value. In this case I cannot equate y' to be zero. I want a general explanation on what the critical value means!?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Consider ##\lim\limits_{t\to 0}y(t)## in dependence on ##a##

1. What is a critical value problem?

A critical value problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding a specific value, called a critical value, that satisfies certain conditions or constraints. These problems often arise in optimization and decision-making scenarios, where finding the critical value can help determine the best course of action.

2. How do you solve a critical value problem?

To solve a critical value problem, you typically need to use mathematical techniques such as calculus or linear algebra. First, you must set up the problem and identify the constraints and objective function. Then, you can use various methods such as differentiation or matrix operations to find the critical value that maximizes or minimizes the objective function.

3. What are some real-world applications of critical value problems?

Critical value problems have numerous real-world applications, including in economics, engineering, and statistics. For example, in economics, critical value problems can be used to determine the optimal production levels for a company, while in engineering, they can help design systems that maximize efficiency. In statistics, critical value problems are commonly used in hypothesis testing to determine the significance of a result.

4. What happens if there is no critical value for a problem?

If there is no critical value for a problem, it means that the constraints and objective function do not have a maximum or minimum value. In other words, there is no optimal solution that satisfies all the conditions of the problem. This can occur when the constraints are too restrictive or when the objective function is not well-defined.

5. Are there any limitations to using critical value problems?

While critical value problems are a powerful tool in many fields, they do have some limitations. For instance, they may not be suitable for solving complex, multi-variable problems or problems with nonlinear constraints. Additionally, the assumptions and simplifications made in setting up the problem may not always accurately reflect real-world scenarios, leading to suboptimal solutions.