A different definition of radiation flux

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
shanepitts
Messages
84
Reaction score
1
Would anyone have a different explanation and maybe an example of radiation flux? Here is the Wikipedia definition "Radiation flux is a measure of the amount of radiation received by an object from a given source", which is quite clearly explained.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Is there something you didn't understand about the wikipedia explanation that we can help you with?
 
I am not sure. I fathom that, for example, on the amount of radiation we receive from the Sun is the radiation flux. Is this accurate?
 
That looks correct to me, though I think the term "radiant flux" is more appropriate for the sun since we usually only care about the EM radiation of the sun: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radiant_flux

Radiant flux is only concerned with EM radiation, while radiation flux can refer to any kind of radiation, including particle radiation.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person