1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A differentiable function whose derivative is not integrable

1. Feb 3, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Suppose g is a differentiable on [a,b] and f = g', then does there exist a function f which is not integrable?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I've tried to look at pathological functions such as irrational, rational piecewise functions. but the g would not be differentiable. Moreover, it seems intuitive that the derivative of a function is integrable. Please help.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

How about a function that oscillates REALLY FAST as it approaches an endpoint but does it in such a way as to remain differentiable?

4. Feb 4, 2009 #3

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Can such a function exist and be differentiable at the endpoint? :eek:

5. Feb 4, 2009 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

f(x)=x^2*sin(1/x^3) for x in (0,1], f(0)=0? What's wrong with that?

6. Feb 4, 2009 #5
    Thanks for the advice Dick. I thought of a function g(x) = x^2sin (1/x) at x not equals to 0 and g(x) = 0 when x = 0

Such a function is differentiable and g'(x) = f(x) = 2x sin (1/x) - cos (1/x) when x not equal 0 and 0 when x = 0

Yet, can't we say that such a function f is integrable on [-1,1]? since it is continuous at all points except at 0 and it is bounded on [-1,1] since both sin and cos functions are bounded. Thus, can't we choose a partition such that U(f,P)-L(f,P) < epsilon for any epsilon > 0?

7. Feb 4, 2009 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes. I think so. If you look at my response to quasar987, that's why I picked one that oscillates even faster and is obviously unbounded and not integrable. I can make it oscillate even faster if you want.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?