A difficult integration (antiderivative) problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the improper integrability of the function f(x)=\int (1-cos(x))/x^2 on the interval (0, infinity). The conversation considers different approaches, such as using substitution and by parts, and suggests using Maclaurin series. It also raises the question of whether graphing the function is a sufficient way to determine improper integrability. Ultimately, it is suggested to split the integral into two parts and consider each separately.
applegatecz

Homework Statement

Decide whether f(x)=[tex]\int[/tex] (1-cos(x))/x^2 is improperly integrable on (0, infinity).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand the concept of improper integration, but I don't see how to take the antiderivative -- I tried substitution and by parts, but I can't get there.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried an approach that doesn't rely on finding an elementary anti-derivative?

Hmm -- what do you mean? I did graph the function, and it seems apparent that it is indeed improperly integrable -- but I don't think stating as much is a sufficient response.

Do you know about Maclaurin series? E.g., the Maclaurin series for cos x is 1 - x2/2! + x4/4! - x2/6! ...

applegatecz said:
I did graph the function, and it seems apparent that it is indeed improperly integrable
Can you articulate why it is apparent?

P.S. is it really apparent from graphing the functions that
[tex]\int_1^{+\infty} \frac{dx}{x^2}[/tex]​
exists, but
[tex]\int_1^{+\infty} \frac{dx}{\sqrt{x}}[/tex]​
does not? They look pretty much the same to me.

Hmm, yes, I didn't think of that. But in that case, I get that the value of the entire integral approaches infinity as x-->infinity: all the terms go to zero except that second term [(x^2)/2!] / x^2, which is 1/2; the antiderivative is therefore x/2, which approaches infinity as x-> infinity?

the way i read the question, you don't have to give a value, but just show the integral either exists or doesn't

so, wth that in mind, how about splitting it up into two integrals over (0,1) and (1,infinity), consider each part separately and have another look at Hurkyl's & Mark's comments

1. What is an antiderivative?

An antiderivative, also known as an indefinite integral, is the inverse operation of a derivative. It is a function that, when differentiated, gives the original function. Antiderivatives are used in finding the area under a curve and solving differential equations.

2. How do I solve a difficult integration problem?

The first step in solving a difficult integration problem is to identify the type of problem it is. Is it a polynomial, trigonometric, exponential, or a combination of functions? Then, use techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or trigonometric identities to simplify the problem and find the antiderivative.

3. What are some common techniques used in solving integration problems?

Some common techniques used in solving integration problems include substitution, integration by parts, trigonometric identities, partial fractions, and u-substitution. Each technique is useful for different types of problems and can help simplify the integration process.

4. How do I know if my answer to an integration problem is correct?

You can check the correctness of your answer by differentiating it. If the resulting function is the original function, then your answer is correct. You can also use online integration calculators or ask a peer or teacher to check your work.

5. Are there any tips or tricks for solving difficult integration problems?

One tip for solving difficult integration problems is to break them down into smaller, simpler parts. You can also try to manipulate the expression or use algebraic techniques to simplify the problem. Practice and familiarity with different integration techniques can also help make solving difficult problems easier.