1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A doubt respect to the sign of the torsor (torque)

1. May 1, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

upload_2015-5-1_22-50-1.png

Actually I have two doubs, the first one is Why in the solution of this problem, in the sumatory of moments in C, Force 2=10?? If in the sumatory of moments in F, Force 2 is 416.7 N. Actually I calculate with 416.7 N, and T in C = 100 N. The other doubt is with the sign of the torsor along the axis CD. Because the action-reaction law, the torsor in the axis will enter in the axis, thus it will NEGATIVE, but the solution takes positive!!!. Why??
    upload_2015-5-1_22-55-32.png

2. Relevant equations

upload_2015-5-1_22-56-11.png upload_2015-5-1_22-56-19.png

3. The attempt at a solution
    It is in the The problem statement, at the picture

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. May 2, 2015 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

4. May 2, 2015 #3
    Ok, thank you for correcting my grammar. It's true, I have 2 questions

5. May 4, 2015 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

I understood what you meant by "doubt"... :smile:

You are saying that the book's solution shows F2 = 10N? That seems way off...

And as for the direction of the net torque on the center gear, I think you have labeled the direction incorrectly. The force F2 on the bottom of the gear is larger, so the net torque will be towards the back of the apparatus (clockwise as seen from the front)...

6. May 12, 2015 #5
    Thank you

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted