A few questions about computer applications and microprocessors

In summary, you can wire in a light to a PC using a parallel port, or use a USB port. PICs (or something similar) may allow you to put Linux or Windows on a microcontroller, but this is not necessary.
Oblio
Hey everyone,

I have a few questions concerning computers, I know a significant amount of electronics but not so much on the computer end...
Anyways,

say I wanted the simple application of controling a light (an LED for example) with my computer - what's the easiest way to wire-in or attach the light?

Something else that I was wondering about, are there PICs (or something similiar) that allow you to put Linux (or heaven forbid... Windows) on a microcontroller?
The reason being, if you wanted to use software on the microcontroller that already existed on one of the two platforms.

I'll start with those 2 :) Thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I think there are various x86 single board computers that will run Linux or, heaven forfend, Windoze(tm), should you be mad enough to want it.

I'm sure there must be systems that will run WinCE...

As to controlling the light, the easiest method used to be the parallel port... but that was before the joys of WinNT etc. which tend to prevent you playing directly with the hardware.

One good way to do IO directly with a PC is via the USB port. Parallel ports are not generally available on laptops, and are even getting scarce on desktop PCs. But USB ports are still popular, and you can get to them via standard drivers, etc.

You can google usb io, and get lots of hits like this one:

http://www.devasys.com/usbi2cio.htm

Not sure what your actually trying to do, but using a PC to just control some L.E.Ds seems overkill, not that it can't be done.

In addition to the ports mentioned have a look also at the classical Serial port (RS232),

now in terms of having a full blown OS (eg Linux or Windows) on a microcontroller (I've never come across it, I don't think its even possible, you need a full comptuer architecture, not the limited hardware offered by microcontrollers)

saying that have a look at PSoC (by Cypress), this thing is like a customisable system on a chip! people have made everything with this from bluetooth devices to radios etc:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PSoC

and its easy to program! (have a look at their "express" software, no complex PIC assembly at all)

Last edited:

1. What is the difference between computer applications and microprocessors?

Computer applications are software programs that are designed to perform specific tasks on a computer, such as word processing or internet browsing. Microprocessors, on the other hand, are the physical hardware components that power computers and other electronic devices. They are responsible for executing instructions and performing calculations.

2. How do computer applications utilize microprocessors?

Computer applications are written in programming languages that are then compiled into machine code, which is a set of instructions that the microprocessor can understand and execute. The microprocessor then performs the necessary tasks to run the application, such as retrieving and storing data, performing calculations, and displaying information on a screen.

3. What are some examples of computer applications?

Some common computer applications include web browsers, word processors, spreadsheets, video and photo editing software, and games. There are also applications for specific purposes, such as accounting software, project management tools, and design programs.

4. How do advancements in microprocessor technology impact computer applications?

As microprocessors become more powerful and efficient, computer applications can take advantage of this by becoming more complex and feature-rich. For example, a word processing application may be able to handle larger documents and perform more advanced formatting and editing tasks with a newer, more advanced microprocessor.

5. Are microprocessors limited to use in computers?

No, microprocessors are used in a wide range of electronic devices, from smartphones and tablets to household appliances and cars. They are essential for powering and controlling these devices, and as technology continues to advance, we can expect to see microprocessors being used in even more innovative ways.