1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Few Small Integration Problems

1. May 24, 2010 #1
    I just have a few small questions.

For this first question I need to setup the integral to find the volume defined by.

[tex]y=tan^{3}(x)[/tex], [tex]y=1[/tex], and [tex]x=0[/tex] by rotating it about y=1.

My result was this:
    [tex]\pi\int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{4}} {(tan^{3}(x) - 1)^{2}dx}[/tex]

From my understanding all you need to do is offset the function by the axis in order to make it work. But the actual answer is:
    [tex]\pi\int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{4}} {(1 - tan^{3}(x))^{2}dx}[/tex]

Which looks like it would do something else entirely. I had a similar issue when doing the same thing for sin(x) about y=1. What's going on here?

My second issue is a conceptual question involving work. Just to make sure I have the order of everything correct, how does say, the work done to move a spring relate to it's potential energy? Is it the integral of work = potential energy?

Last edited: May 24, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. May 24, 2010 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

The tangent function (and its cube) are not continuous in the interval [0, pi], which you show below. The region being rotated is bounded by the y-axis, the line y = 1, and the graph of y = tan^3(x). For another, you are apparently using disks, but haven't set up the integral correctly. Using disks, the typical volume element [itex]\Delta V[/itex] is pi * R2[itex]\Delta x[/itex], where R is the radius from the line y = 1 to the curve.
    Yes, that doesn't look right at all, based on the information you have given.

4. May 24, 2010 #3
    Sorry, I forgot to square the function when I entered it in...and I meant to put pi/4. I've corrected it now.

From what I was told in class though, all I need to do to get the volume using the disk method is this:

[tex]V = \int_{b}^{a} [f(x)]^{2} dx[/tex]

and if I was revolving around a differnet axis, say y=-3 then I would just do this:

[tex]V = \int_{b}^{a} [f(x)+3]^{2} dx[/tex]

Last edited: May 24, 2010
  5. May 24, 2010 #4

Mark44

I think you have it now. To recap, your integral should look like this:
    [tex]V = \pi \int_{0}^{\pi/4} [tan^3(x) - 1]^{2} dx[/tex]

6. May 24, 2010 #5
    That's what I got, but the book has the 1 and the cubic tangent reversed.

7. May 24, 2010 #6

Mark44

When you calculate the overall radius of the shell you should have R - r, with R being the larger y value and r being the smaller y value. In this case, the overall radius is 1 - tan^3(x). Doesn't matter in this case, because it's squared.

8. May 24, 2010 #7

Mark44

I had to look it up in my Halliday & Resnick, which says
    [tex]W = \Delta K = - \Delta U[/tex]
    where W = work, [itex]\Delta K[/itex] = change in kinetic energy, and [itex]\Delta U[/itex] = change in potential energy

If a force F is applied in a straight line, work W is defined as

[tex]W = \int_{x_0}^x F(x) dx[/tex]

9. May 24, 2010 #8
    Right, I see now.

Great. Thanks for the help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook