A First Course in Probability by Ross

In summary, "A First Course in Probability" by Sheldon Ross is a comprehensive and helpful book for understanding probability. It provides a good balance of theory and practical examples, making it useful for both students and professionals. While there may be better books available, Ross's book is still a reasonable and valuable resource. The newer edition is longer, but not excessively so, and may be worth the investment for those in need of a thorough review of probability.

For those who have used this book

• Total voters
Physics news on Phys.org
I know the 3rd edition - it was the book my sophomore "probability for engineers" course was based on. At the time I thought it was a good book, with plenty of theory and lots of examples so the reader could pick and chose which ones were helpful. I'm sure we skipped the more difficult proofs, and I'm sure we didn't do the hardest problems in the book, but I know that I gained a working knowledge of probability. Years later I used this book as the first part of my "probability review" I undertook on my own once I was in the workforce and needed better fluency with the material, and I thought Ross was great as far as basic probability is concerned.

Are there better books around? Probably. But Ross is reasonable. Now there is a 9th edition out, which (surprisingly) only about 15% longer, so hasn't suffered the extreme bloating many books have. The price of the new edition is outrageous, though. The book is not worth $145 in my opinion, no matter how much better it is than he 3rd edition.

jason

1. What topics are covered in "A First Course in Probability" by Ross?

The book covers fundamental concepts and principles of probability, including combinatorics, random variables, probability distributions, and basic statistical inference techniques. It also delves into more advanced topics such as Markov chains and limit theorems.

2. Is this book suitable for beginners?

Yes, the book is designed for students who have a basic understanding of calculus and linear algebra. It provides clear explanations and examples to help readers grasp the concepts.

3. Are there any supplemental materials available for this book?

Yes, the author has a website that offers additional practice problems, solutions, and lecture slides to accompany the book.

4. Is "A First Course in Probability" a good resource for self-study?

Yes, the book is well-organized and offers plenty of practice problems and examples for self-study. However, it is recommended to also seek guidance from a teacher or tutor if possible.

5. Are there any real-world applications discussed in the book?

Yes, the book includes examples and exercises that apply probability concepts to various fields such as finance, engineering, and biology. This helps readers understand the practical applications of probability in different industries.