Algebra: A Graduate Course by Isaacs

In summary, "Algebra: A Graduate Course by Isaacs" is an intermediate to advanced level book designed for graduate students and researchers in the field of algebra. It covers a wide range of topics including group theory, ring theory, field theory, and Galois theory, as well as more advanced topics such as representation theory and homological algebra. While it is suitable for self-study, having guidance from a professor or mentor is recommended. The book can also be used as a reference for researchers in algebra, but it is advised to consult other sources for more specialized topics. Exercises and solutions are included in the book, but it is recommended to attempt the exercises on your own before checking the solutions.

For those who have used this book

• Lightly Recommend

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lightly don't Recommend

• Strongly don't Recommend

• Total voters
Physics news on Phys.org
This is another book I want to see. Instead of breaking down into group, rings & fields like the standard presentation, it's broken down into commutative & noncommutative structures. As far as I know, that's new, and other than that it's generally a good book too.

fourier jr said:
This is another book I want to see. Instead of breaking down into group, rings & fields like the standard presentation, it's broken down into commutative & noncommutative structures. As far as I know, that's new, and other than that it's generally a good book too.

That's a very interesting approach! I'll have to check the book out.

Related to Algebra: A Graduate Course by Isaacs

1. What is the difficulty level of "Algebra: A Graduate Course by Isaacs"?

The difficulty level of this book is considered to be intermediate to advanced. It is designed for graduate students and researchers in the field of algebra, so it assumes a certain level of mathematical maturity and prior knowledge of abstract algebra.

2. Is "Algebra: A Graduate Course by Isaacs" suitable for self-study?

While it is possible to use this book for self-study, it is recommended to have some guidance from a professor or mentor who can provide additional explanations and examples. The material can be challenging and having a support system can be beneficial for better understanding.

3. What topics does "Algebra: A Graduate Course by Isaacs" cover?

This book covers a wide range of topics in algebra, including group theory, ring theory, field theory, and Galois theory. It also introduces more advanced topics such as representation theory and homological algebra. The book aims to provide a comprehensive overview of algebra for graduate students.

4. Can this book be used as a reference for researchers in algebra?

Yes, "Algebra: A Graduate Course by Isaacs" can be used as a reference for researchers in algebra. It covers many advanced topics and provides a thorough treatment of the subject matter. However, it is also recommended to consult other sources and research papers for more specialized topics.

5. Are there exercises and solutions included in "Algebra: A Graduate Course by Isaacs"?

Yes, this book includes exercises at the end of each chapter to help reinforce the material. Solutions to selected exercises are also provided at the end of the book. However, it is recommended to attempt the exercises on your own before checking the solutions for better understanding.