A formula provable without is a tautology

• Thread starter antonio85
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formula
In summary, the conversation discusses methods for proving that a formula is a tautology without using certain axioms and rules. One suggested approach is to use induction, starting with a base case and then showing that the proof holds for all cases. Another question is posed about how to proceed for a proof with more than one step.
antonio85
How can I prove that:

If a formula [tex]A[/tex] is provable without use of substitution axioms, nonlogical axioms, equality and identity axioms, and the [tex]\exists[/tex]-introduction rule, than [tex]A[/tex] is a tautology.

I try to act this way: consider a tautology A and show that using propositional axioms I get another tautology, and that if the hypothesis of a rule are tautologies then also the conclusion is a tautology. But I don't know wether it is the correct way or not.
Anyone can help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
A good way to start might be by induction

If your proof is one step then what can A possibly be?

Then if it's true for all proofs of less than or equal to n steps... for an n+1 step proof how would you proceed?

1. What is a tautology?

A tautology is a statement that is always true, regardless of the truth values of its components. In other words, it is a statement that is true by definition.

2. How is a formula provable without axioms?

A formula can be proven without axioms by using logical deductions and reasoning. This means that the proof relies solely on the structure of the formula itself, rather than any external assumptions or premises.

3. What does it mean for a formula to be provable?

When a formula is provable, it means that it can be logically derived from a set of axioms or assumptions. This means that the formula is true based on the rules and principles of logic.

4. Can a formula be provable without being a tautology?

Yes, a formula can be provable without being a tautology. This means that the formula can be logically derived from axioms or assumptions, but it may not be true by definition.

5. What are some examples of formulas that are provable without being tautologies?

Some examples of formulas that are provable without being tautologies include mathematical equations, scientific hypotheses, and logical arguments. These formulas can be proven based on logical deductions and reasoning, but they may not be true by definition.