A Good, Clear, Introductory Text?

In summary, the conversation revolved around the speaker's search for a clear physics textbook. They mentioned their struggles with "Physics for Dummies" and their interest in the 1978 version of "Physics" by Halliday and Resnick. They also questioned the difference between this version and the newer "Fundamentals of Physics." The speaker's math and science background was also mentioned, with a recommendation for the 1978 edition of H&R's "Physics" over the newer edition, which is said to be watered down for the used textbook market.
lrl4565
So, I started with "Physics for Dummies", but it quickly became confusing. They use speed and velocity interchangeably... calling acceleration the rate at which speed changes, talking about negative speed, telling me that vector a + vector b = vector c. After internet research, I'm pretty sure these things are not right.

I want a textbook that is, above all, CLEAR.

I've been hearing things about Halliday and Resnick. I was thinking about purchasing the 1978 version of "Physics". Is there a difference between this and the newer Fundamentals of Physics?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/047134530X/?tag=pfamazon01-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0471320579/?tag=pfamazon01-20

About my math and science background:

I have never taken any physics courses. I took Calculus last year (in high school, with an engineering textbook), and have a fairly decent grasp of the concepts, but am not strong.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I highly recommend that edition of H&R "Physics".

"Fundamentals of Physics" is watered down, but should still be fine.

The only reason new editions of these texts keep coming out is to keep the publisher from losing money to the used textbook market. You're not missing anything by getting older editions.

1. What makes a text a "good" introductory text?

A good introductory text is one that effectively introduces the topic in a clear and concise manner. It should provide a good overview of the subject and cover the most important concepts and information without overwhelming the reader with too much detail.

2. How do you define a "clear" introductory text?

A clear introductory text is one that is well-organized and easy to understand. It should have a logical flow and use language that is easy for the reader to comprehend. It should also use examples and visuals to help explain complex concepts.

3. What are the essential components of an introductory text?

The essential components of an introductory text include a clear and concise introduction that outlines the purpose and scope of the text, a well-structured body that covers the main concepts and information, and a conclusion that summarizes the key points and ties everything together.

4. How can an introductory text be made more engaging?

An introductory text can be made more engaging by using a conversational tone and incorporating real-life examples and scenarios. It can also include interactive elements such as quizzes or activities to keep the reader engaged and actively learning.

5. How can a scientist determine the appropriate level of complexity for an introductory text?

A scientist can determine the appropriate level of complexity for an introductory text by considering the target audience and their prior knowledge and understanding of the subject. It is important to strike a balance between providing enough information for a basic understanding and not overwhelming the reader with too much technical jargon.