A Grade 11 Waves - Frequency-Movement Problem

In summary, the 20g mass, with a frequency of 2.0 Hz, would move 2 m in 10 seconds after being picked up and moved 20 cm from its rest position.
incognito301
****A Grade 11 Waves --- Frequency-Movement Problem****

A 20g mass is picked up and moved from its rest position 20 cm. The mass has a frequency of 2.0 Hz.

How far does it move in 10s. (Show work)

I have no idea how to solve this. But if it helps I have learned these equations a day before my teacher gave me this Q to hand in tomorrow:

f = N / T
T = t / N
V = WaveLength / T
V = WaveLength * f

What I tried was to solve it like this:

f = N / T ----> 2 = N/10 -----> N = 20

So x = 20 * 10 cm = 200 cm = 2 m

Is it right? please answer ASAP. I have to hand this in tomorrow!

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, your answer is correct. Since the frequency of the mass is 2.0 Hz, it means that it completes 2 complete oscillations or cycles in 10 seconds. Therefore, if it moves 20 cm in one cycle, then it would move 2 m in 10 seconds.

Dear student,

Thank you for sharing your problem with me. I understand that you have been working on wave equations and are attempting to solve this frequency-movement problem. Let's break it down step by step.

Firstly, we need to understand the given information. We have a 20g mass that is being moved from its rest position by 20 cm. The frequency of this mass is 2.0 Hz. This means that the mass is completing 2 oscillations (back and forth movements) in 1 second.

Next, we need to determine what the question is asking us to solve. The question is asking us to find how far the mass will move in 10 seconds. We can do this by using the equation V = WaveLength * f, where V represents velocity, WaveLength represents the distance the wave travels in one full oscillation, and f represents frequency.

We know that the frequency is 2.0 Hz, so we can substitute that into the equation: V = WaveLength * 2.0. Now, we need to find the wave length. To do this, we can use the equation V = WaveLength / T, where T represents the period (time for one full oscillation). We know that the period is 1/f, so in this case, it would be 1/2.0 = 0.5 seconds.

Substituting this into the equation, we get: V = WaveLength / 0.5. Rearranging the equation to solve for WaveLength, we get: WaveLength = V * 0.5. Now, we need to find the velocity. We can use the equation V = d/t, where d represents distance and t represents time. In this case, we know that the distance is 20 cm and the time is 10 seconds.

Substituting these values into the equation, we get: V = 20 cm / 10 s = 2 cm/s. Now, we can substitute this value into the equation for WaveLength: WaveLength = 2 cm/s * 0.5 s = 1 cm. This means that in 10 seconds, the mass will move a distance of 1 cm.

To summarize, we can solve this problem by using the equations V = WaveLength * f and V = WaveLength / T. We can also use the equation V = d/t to find the velocity. I hope this helps you understand

1. What is a frequency-movement problem in grade 11 waves?

A frequency-movement problem in grade 11 waves refers to a type of physics problem that involves calculating the frequency (number of cycles per second) of a wave based on its movement or displacement. This can be applied to various types of waves, such as sound, light, and water waves.

2. How do you solve a frequency-movement problem?

To solve a frequency-movement problem, you will need to use the equation f = v/λ, where f is the frequency, v is the wave velocity, and λ is the wavelength. You will need to know two of these values to solve for the third one. It is important to use consistent units when plugging in values for this equation.

3. What are some common units used in frequency-movement problems?

The most common units used in frequency-movement problems are hertz (Hz) for frequency, meters (m) for wavelength, and meters per second (m/s) for wave velocity. However, depending on the specific problem, other units such as kilometers, centimeters, or even time units like seconds or minutes may be used.

4. Can you provide an example of a frequency-movement problem?

Sure, here's an example: A sound wave has a velocity of 340 m/s and a wavelength of 0.5 m. What is the frequency of the sound wave? To solve this, we use the equation f = v/λ. Plugging in the values, we get f = 340 m/s ÷ 0.5 m = 680 Hz. So, the frequency of the sound wave in this example is 680 Hz.

5. How does understanding frequency-movement problems relate to real-life applications?

Understanding frequency-movement problems can help us better understand and analyze various real-life phenomena, such as the behavior of sound waves in music and communication, the properties of light waves in optics and technology, and the characteristics of water waves in oceanography and weather forecasting. It also has practical applications in fields such as engineering, acoustics, and telecommunications.