1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A homework in Direct Circuit for beginning students

1. May 23, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Left blank

2. Relevant equations

Left blank

3. The attempt at a solution

Well, I am not familiar with the Latex system on this website, just because I am a newbie and I rarely access to this forum. I have a problem (may be simple for you guys) but I still need a solution from you, or at least, please give me the answer if you are boring with typing a lot of formulae.
    Thank you in advance

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. May 23, 2014 #2

nsaspook

Science Advisor

4. May 23, 2014 #3
    Thanks naspook
    I did have the solution that was solved by myself, and I think it's suitable for pupils, not a student but one day, my little brother gave a solution that was different to mine, and he believes that my solution is not right, So I need an answer from you to check.

5. May 23, 2014 #4

nsaspook

Science Advisor

Why don't you give your answer and the steps you took to find your results first in the proper format for this forum.

6. May 23, 2014 #5

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

You need to read the forum rules. We help folks figure out how to solve problems, we do NOT just "give answers".

7. May 23, 2014 #6
    Yeah, my steps: this DC circuit is a familiar one and we only need to know that with the given assumption as the ammeter is ideal, the potential difference between two points of [itex]\ R_5[/itex] is zero, then as a consequence [itex]\ {I_5}=0A[/itex]. And [itex]\ {I_1}=2A[/itex], [itex]\ {I_2}=2A[/itex],[itex]\ {I_3}={I_4}=1A[/itex], then from Kirchooff law, [itex]\ {I_A}=4A[/itex].
    Net resistance of the circuit is [itex]\ {R_{AB}}=6Ω[/itex]

8. May 23, 2014 #7

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yeah, well, you sure take big steps. Especially from I5 to I1, 2,3,4. Perhaps you want to explain the 2,2,1,1 in a little more detail ? And: what did your young brother find ?

9. May 23, 2014 #8
    to BvU:
    Well, this problem can be solved simply by re-draw the circuit with the rule as: Consider all points that have the equal potential is one. So we can have a new and simple diagram, from it we get I1, I2, I3, I4, and of course, I5=0 as mentioned above. It's my steps

My little brother: I think he did make a small fault when he re-draw the diagram

10. May 23, 2014 #9

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Still: what did your young brother find ?

I agree with I5. Also with the two 1. But don't you become suspicious at all when 30 V over 6 Ohm gives 4 A ?

11. May 23, 2014 #10

nsaspook

Science Advisor

Points for trying but you need to review a few things. It's aways good to work backwards (what voltage is across each node with your current calculations) from your result to check for errors.
    http://www.usna.edu/Users/cs/vincent/suppnotes/EE301Topic06.pdf [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  12. May 23, 2014 #11
    Of course, nasaspook, we should review it, but I did knew this theory many years ago when I was in 9-grade class and I did give my answer.
    Could anyone give me your numerical answer, that is all I need

13. May 23, 2014 #12
    Could anyone give the answer for me? I need it to check, this problem seems to be simple, but I need the answer from you

14. May 24, 2014 #13

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Is not the way PF works. You have a choice to ignore answers to questions and hints to improve your work. You can not ask for 'the answer'.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted