A homework in Direct Circuit for beginning students

In summary, the conversation is about a problem with a DC circuit and the steps taken to solve it. The original poster is seeking help from other forum members and provides their own solution and the solution of their younger brother. However, another forum member suggests reviewing the steps and checking for errors. The original poster then repeatedly asks for the numerical answer and is reminded that the forum is for helping with problem-solving, not providing answers.
fdbjruitoirew

Homework Statement

Left blank

Homework Equations

Left blank

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I am not familiar with the Latex system on this website, just because I am a newbie and I rarely access to this forum. I have a problem (may be simple for you guys) but I still need a solution from you, or at least, please give me the answer if you are boring with typing a lot of formulae.
Thank you in advance

Attachments

• Problem Direct Circuit.pdf
    19.3 KB · Views: 315
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks naspook
I did have the solution that was solved by myself, and I think it's suitable for pupils, not a student but one day, my little brother gave a solution that was different to mine, and he believes that my solution is not right, So I need an answer from you to check.

fdbjruitoirew said:
So I need an answer from you to check.

Why don't you give your answer and the steps you took to find your results first in the proper format for this forum.

fdbjruitoirew said:
... please give me the answer

You need to read the forum rules. We help folks figure out how to solve problems, we do NOT just "give answers".

nsaspook said:
Why don't you give your answer and the steps you took to find your results first in the proper format for this forum.

Yeah, my steps: this DC circuit is a familiar one and we only need to know that with the given assumption as the ammeter is ideal, the potential difference between two points of [itex]\ R_5[/itex] is zero, then as a consequence [itex]\ {I_5}=0A[/itex]. And [itex]\ {I_1}=2A[/itex], [itex]\ {I_2}=2A[/itex],[itex]\ {I_3}={I_4}=1A[/itex], then from Kirchooff law, [itex]\ {I_A}=4A[/itex].
Net resistance of the circuit is [itex]\ {R_{AB}}=6Ω[/itex]

Yeah, well, you sure take big steps. Especially from I5 to I1, 2,3,4. Perhaps you want to explain the 2,2,1,1 in a little more detail ? And: what did your young brother find ?

to BvU:
Well, this problem can be solved simply by re-draw the circuit with the rule as: Consider all points that have the equal potential is one. So we can have a new and simple diagram, from it we get I1, I2, I3, I4, and of course, I5=0 as mentioned above. It's my steps

My little brother: I think he did make a small fault when he re-draw the diagram

Still: what did your young brother find ?

I agree with I5. Also with the two 1. But don't you become suspicious at all when 30 V over 6 Ohm gives 4 A ?

Likes 1 person
fdbjruitoirew said:
Yeah, my steps: this DC circuit is a familiar one and we only need to know that with the given assumption as the ammeter is ideal, the potential difference between two points of [itex]\ R_5[/itex] is zero, then as a consequence [itex]\ {I_5}=0A[/itex]. And [itex]\ {I_1}=2A[/itex], [itex]\ {I_2}=2A[/itex],[itex]\ {I_3}={I_4}=1A[/itex], then from Kirchooff law, [itex]\ {I_A}=4A[/itex].
Net resistance of the circuit is [itex]\ {R_{AB}}=6Ω[/itex]

Points for trying but you need to review a few things. It's aways good to work backwards (what voltage is across each node with your current calculations) from your result to check for errors.
http://www.usna.edu/Users/cs/vincent/suppnotes/EE301Topic06.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes 1 person
Of course, nasaspook, we should review it, but I did knew this theory many years ago when I was in 9-grade class and I did give my answer.
Could anyone give me your numerical answer, that is all I need

Could anyone give the answer for me? I need it to check, this problem seems to be simple, but I need the answer from you

Could anyone give me your numerical answer, that is all I need
Is not the way PF works. You have a choice to ignore answers to questions and hints to improve your work. You can not ask for 'the answer'.

1. What is a direct circuit?

A direct circuit is a type of electrical circuit that has a single path for the flow of electricity. This means that all components, such as batteries and resistors, are connected in a series and the current flows through each component in the same direction.

2. Why is it important for beginning students to learn about direct circuits?

Understanding direct circuits is essential for students who are just starting to learn about electrical circuits. It provides a foundation for more complex circuits and helps students understand the basic principles and laws of electricity.

3. What are the key components of a direct circuit?

The key components of a direct circuit include a power source, such as a battery, a load or resistor, and connecting wires. These components are connected in a series, with the positive end of the power source connected to the load, and the negative end connected to the other components.

4. How do you calculate the total resistance in a direct circuit?

To calculate the total resistance in a direct circuit, you can use Ohm's law, which states that resistance is equal to voltage divided by current. You can also use Kirchhoff's circuit laws to analyze the voltage and current in different parts of the circuit and calculate the total resistance.

5. What are some common applications of direct circuits?

Direct circuits have many practical applications, such as in household wiring, automotive electrical systems, and electronic devices. They are also used in simple circuits for educational purposes and in basic electronic devices such as flashlights and calculators.