Analyzing a circuit with multiple batteries

In summary: The edit button is gone, I can't add the equation or your picture. You can post the equation and picture below the text-editor.The Attempt at a SolutionThis is the first time I've encountered multiple batteries in a circuit. Note-Current electricity is the next chapter in our textbook, so I'm not very familiar with Kirchhoff's laws etc. i.e. just the basics.My intuition was that either two currents will flow from both or a single one from 20 V to 10 V, how can I know for sure?I'd greatly appreciate some help, thank youAs relevant equations, you need the one how the voltage across a capacitor depends on the charge and capacitance
Krushnaraj Pandya
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Find charge on 3 capacitors.
Join two squares with one common side. At the middle of the common edge, place C3=6uF (micro-farad).
On upper edge of left square, place C1=2uF. On upper edge of right square place C2=4uF. On lower edge of left square, a battery-10V and on lower edge of right square 20 V
Photo attached, but quality of camera is not really good.

Homework Equations

1)sum of capacitance=equivalent C when in parallel.
2)reciprocal addition when in series
3) all other related to capacitance

The Attempt at a Solution

This is the first time I've encountered multiple batteries in a circuit. Note-Current electricity is the next chapter in our textbook, so I'm not very familiar with Kirchhoff's laws etc. i.e. just the basics.
My intuition was that either two currents will flow from both or a single one from 20 V to to 10 V, how can I know for sure?
I'd greatly appreciate some help, thank you

Attachments

• WIN_20180807_22_37_00_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20180807_22_37_00_Pro.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 427
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Krushnaraj Pandya said:
Join two squares with one common side. At the middle of the common edge, place C3=6uF (micro-farad).
On upper edge of left square, place C1=2uF. On upper edge of right square place C2=4uF. On lower edge of left square, a battery-10V and on lower edge of right square 20 V
Instead of this description, a circuit diagram would be much more helpful, for you and for the helpers. It is going to be difficult for the helpers to explain and take you through the solution without a diagram. You can post the diagram using the UPLOAD button below the text-editor.
Krushnaraj Pandya said:

Homework Equations

All related
That's one of the important pre-requisites for posting in the HH forum. You need to post the relevant equations, with an attempt at a solution. Without any attempt from the OP, members are not allowed to help them.

cnh1995 said:
Instead of this description, a circuit diagram would be much more helpful, for you and for the helpers. It is going to be difficult for the helpers to explain and take you through the solution without a diagram. You can post the diagram using the UPLOAD button below the text-editor.

That's one of the important pre-requisites for posting in the HH forum. You need to post the relevant equations, with an attempt at a solution. Without any attempt from the OP, members are not allowed to help them.
Alright. I was avoiding a picture due to my poor webcam quality. I'll write out my intuitions in attempt at a solution and post a picture. Thank you.

Anyone?

Krushnaraj Pandya said:

Homework Statement

Photo attached, but quality of camera is not really good.

Homework Equations

1)sum of capacitance=equivalent C when in parallel.
2)reciprocal addition when in series
3) all other related to capacitance

The Attempt at a Solution

This is the first time I've encountered multiple batteries in a circuit. Note-Current electricity is the next chapter in our textbook, so I'm not very familiar with Kirchhoff's laws etc. i.e. just the basics.
My intuition was that either two currents will flow from both or a single one from 20 V to to 10 V, how can I know for sure?
I'd greatly appreciate some help, thank you
As relevant equations, you need the one how the voltage across a capacitor depends on the charge and capacitance. The other one is the addition of voltages, (potential differences) that is, if UAB is the voltage across points A and B and UBC is the voltage across B and C, then the voltage across A and C is UAC=UAB+UBC.

Krushnaraj Pandya said:
Alright. I was avoiding a picture due to my poor webcam quality. I'll write out my intuitions in attempt at a solution and post a picture. Thank you.
You certainly have some drawing program on your computer, Paint, for example. Make a drawing, copy, and paste it into your post, like I did :

upload_2018-8-8_6-48-59.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-8-8_6-48-59.png
    upload_2018-8-8_6-48-59.png
    2.1 KB · Views: 681
ehild said:
You certainly have some drawing program on your computer, Paint, for example. Make a drawing, copy, and paste it into your post, like I did :

View attachment 229030
That's a really good idea! I'll do that from next time. Thanks a lot for drawing this :D

ehild said:
As relevant equations, you need the one how the voltage across a capacitor depends on the charge and capacitance. The other one is the addition of voltages, (potential differences) that is, if UAB is the voltage across points A and B and UBC is the voltage across B and C, then the voltage across A and C is UAC=UAB+UBC.
The edit button is gone, I can't add the equation or your drawing...

Krushnaraj Pandya said:
The edit button is gone, I can't add the equation or your drawing...
Write an other post with the new equations and drawing. You can copy my picture and paste into your new post.

ehild said:
Write an other post with the new equations and drawing. You can copy my picture and paste into your new post.
how do I delete this one though?

You said Kirchoff's laws are in the next chapter of your textbook, I have big trouble understanding how we can solve this without using Kirchoff's laws.

Using kirchhoffs laws ,specifically KVL, you can make one equation for the closed loop that contains C1, C0 and 10V, another equation from the closed loop that contains C2,C0 and 20V, and the third equation will come from KCL and will be an equation between the charges on the capacitors Q0,Q1 and Q2.

Krushnaraj Pandya said:
how do I delete this one though?
No need to delete. Just post an answer with picture, equation and attempts.

Delta² said:
You said Kirchoff's laws are in the next chapter of your textbook, I have big trouble understanding how we can solve this without using Kirchoff's laws.

Using kirchhoffs laws ,specifically KVL, you can make one equation for the closed loop that contains C1, C0 and 10V, another equation from the closed loop that contains C2,C0 and 20V, and the third equation will come from KCL and will be an equation between the charges on the capacitors Q0,Q1 and Q2.
Kirchhoff's Laws refer to voltages and currents, but you can apply more basic rules here: The definition of voltage between two points as the work done by the electric field between those points, and as work, it is additive.
The other basic law is that charge can not be created or destroyed. If three capacitor plates are connected, and no charge was given to the junction, the net charge on the plates remains zero. Kirchhoff's Laws follow from these more basic Laws, + Ohm's Law.

Likes Delta2
ehild said:
Kirchhoff's Laws refer to voltages and currents, but you can apply more basic rules here: The definition of voltage between two points as the work done by the electric field between those points, and as work, it is additive.
The other basic law is that charge can not be created or destroyed. If three capacitor plates are connected, and no charge was given to the junction, the net charge on the plates remains zero. Kirchhoff's Laws follow from these more basic Laws, + Ohm's Law.
Thanks ehild, I had almost forgot that KCL is a consequence of the principle of conservation of charge, and KVL is a consequence of principle of conservation of energy.

Delta² said:

Alright, so I've come back after learning Kirchhoff's Laws. Simple question- Why do we consider only the current coming from 10 V while considering the loop containing C1, C0 and 10V and similarly for the other loop.
Isn't a part of the current from the other battery also entering the second loop?

first of all in the equilibrium state all the currents will be zero. But in the transient state, yes there will be part of current from one battery entering the other. To see this clearly, what equation can you make for the currents, using KCL at point A (or at point B)?

1. How do I determine the total voltage in a circuit with multiple batteries?

In order to determine the total voltage in a circuit with multiple batteries, you need to first identify the individual voltages of each battery. Then, you can simply add these voltages together to get the total voltage of the circuit. For example, if you have two batteries with voltages of 5V and 8V, the total voltage of the circuit would be 13V.

2. How do I calculate the total resistance in a circuit with multiple batteries?

To calculate the total resistance in a circuit with multiple batteries, you need to first determine the individual resistances of each component in the circuit. Then, you can use the formula R = V/I, where R is resistance, V is voltage, and I is current, to calculate the resistance of each individual component. Finally, you can add these resistances together to get the total resistance of the circuit.

3. How do I apply Kirchhoff's laws in a circuit with multiple batteries?

Kirchhoff's laws are essential for analyzing a circuit with multiple batteries. The first law, also known as the law of conservation of charge, states that the total current entering a junction must equal the total current leaving the junction. The second law, also known as the loop rule, states that the sum of the voltage drops in a closed loop must equal the sum of the voltage sources. By applying these laws, you can solve for the unknown values in a circuit with multiple batteries.

4. Can I simplify a circuit with multiple batteries?

Yes, it is possible to simplify a circuit with multiple batteries by using equivalent resistances and voltage sources. By combining resistors in series or parallel, you can calculate an equivalent resistance for the simplified circuit. Similarly, by combining batteries in series or parallel, you can calculate an equivalent voltage source for the simplified circuit. This can make the circuit easier to analyze and solve for unknown values.

5. How do I determine the direction of current flow in a circuit with multiple batteries?

The direction of current flow in a circuit with multiple batteries is determined by the direction of the electric field created by the batteries. The electric field flows from the positive terminal of the battery to the negative terminal. Therefore, the current will flow in the opposite direction, from the negative terminal to the positive terminal. However, it is important to note that the direction of current flow can change depending on the specific components in the circuit and the orientation of the batteries.