Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A (hopefully) easy question to answer about cantilever beams

1. Mar 3, 2007 #1
    Hi guys,

just wondering if you could help me out?

For a standard rectangular cross-section cantilever beam with a concentrated end load how do i work out the top surface stress at a point along the beam? do i just use sigma=My/I where y=half the depth of the beam and M=end load * distance from end load to point of interest ...?

This sounds right but i'm not certain..sorry, hope this is easy enough to answer.

thanks a lot!

Ralph

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 3, 2007 #2

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

What do you mean exactly?

If you want the flexionant stresses to the extreme fiber on compression (or tension) of the beam, M will be the corresponding moment at the distance (where you want the stresses) from the diagram (which in this case is a triangle), y will be half of the depth of the beam, and I the area moment of inertia of the beam in the axis of the acting moment.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2007
  4. Mar 3, 2007 #3

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sure, your standard formula will apply, unless there is something you didn't tell us about which means it does not apply.

For example if it is a short beam, or you want accurate stresses where a load or restraint is applied, or there are large deflections, or the material is anisotropic, or the loads are big enough to cause nonlinear material behavour, or ....

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?