A (hopefully) easy question to answer about cantilever beams

In summary, the conversation is about finding the top surface stress at a point along a standard rectangular cross-section cantilever beam with a concentrated end load. The formula sigma=My/I is suggested, and it is clarified that M represents the corresponding moment at the distance from the load, y is half the depth of the beam, and I is the area moment of inertia. However, it is mentioned that this formula may not apply in certain cases such as short beams, large deflections, or nonlinear material behavior.
ralphowilson
Hi guys,

just wondering if you could help me out?

For a standard rectangular cross-section cantilever beam with a concentrated end load how do i work out the top surface stress at a point along the beam? do i just use sigma=My/I where y=half the depth of the beam and M=end load * distance from end load to point of interest ...?

This sounds right but I'm not certain..sorry, hope this is easy enough to answer.

thanks a lot!

Ralph

Engineering news on Phys.org
What do you mean exactly?

If you want the flexionant stresses to the extreme fiber on compression (or tension) of the beam, M will be the corresponding moment at the distance (where you want the stresses) from the diagram (which in this case is a triangle), y will be half of the depth of the beam, and I the area moment of inertia of the beam in the axis of the acting moment.

Last edited:
Sure, your standard formula will apply, unless there is something you didn't tell us about which means it does not apply.

For example if it is a short beam, or you want accurate stresses where a load or restraint is applied, or there are large deflections, or the material is anisotropic, or the loads are big enough to cause nonlinear material behavour, or ...

What is a cantilever beam?

A cantilever beam is a structural element that is supported at only one end, with the other end projecting freely into space. It is commonly used in construction to create overhangs, balconies, and other types of structures that require support from only one side.

What is the difference between a cantilever beam and a simply supported beam?

The main difference between a cantilever beam and a simply supported beam is the support mechanism. A simply supported beam has supports at both ends, while a cantilever beam has only one support at the free end. This allows cantilever beams to have much longer spans and are often used in situations where a simply supported beam would not be feasible.

What are the advantages of using a cantilever beam in construction?

One of the main advantages of using a cantilever beam is its ability to create overhangs or unsupported projections without the need for additional supports. This can save on materials and construction time. Additionally, cantilever beams are known for their strength and stability, making them a popular choice in many types of structures.

What types of materials are commonly used for cantilever beams?

Cantilever beams can be made from a variety of materials, including wood, steel, concrete, and composite materials. The choice of material will depend on factors such as the span of the beam, the load it will need to support, and the desired aesthetic appearance.

What are some common applications of cantilever beams?

Cantilever beams have a wide range of applications in construction and engineering. Some common uses include balconies, bridges, roofs, and cantilevered floors. They are also commonly used in cranes, flagpoles, and other types of structures where a strong and stable projection is required.