Constructing a Joule Car: Utilizing Gravitational Potential Energy

In summary, the conversation discussed building a Joule Car for a competition. The objective is to use gravitational potential energy to power the car. Possible ideas include using large light discs as wheels, having the can drop at the start and spin the axle through a pulley system, or using the can as a piston powered by compressed air. These ideas must take into account the low amount of energy available and the need to minimize friction.
soulkiller
Hey guys, I am involved in a competition where my objective is to build a Joule Car:
Can anyone please give me ideas of how I can use gravitational potential energy to build it?

Here are the actual directions:

http://www.mrmaloney.com/nssl/events/2007-2008/0708_3-dec-joule-car.pdf
Your help would be appreciated guys!
Thanks

-A physics nerd:D

Physics news on Phys.org
Not really an advanced physics topic ( unless you are planning to add anti-matter to the soup can and use the resulting ion beam as thrust).

You don't have much energy 0.3 * 0.2 *9.8 = 0.6J
So you need to keep the friction low ( below 0.6J/4m = 0.15 N )
I would look at having large light discs as wheels turning failry slowly.

You could have the can drop at the start, with a string around it, over a pulley and wrapped around the axle so that the falling can spins the axle ( like a pull starter on a lawnmower engine) then free wheel to the end of the course.

You could have a system of pulleys / gears so that the can falling 0.2m pulls a string a much longer distance and the unwinding string keeps tunring the axle all the way to the end.

You can do something similair having the can as some sort of piston, and using the compression of air to drive the wheel.

1. What is a Joule car?

A Joule car is a small vehicle that runs on gravitational potential energy. It is powered by the force of gravity acting on an object as it falls from a higher to lower elevation.

2. How does a Joule car work?

A Joule car works by utilizing the force of gravity to convert potential energy into kinetic energy. The car is placed at the top of a ramp or slope and allowed to roll down. As it rolls, the force of gravity pulls the car down, converting its potential energy into kinetic energy and propelling it forward.

3. What materials are needed to construct a Joule car?

To construct a Joule car, you will need a lightweight, sturdy material for the body of the car, such as foam board or balsa wood. You will also need wheels, axles, and a ramp or slope for the car to roll down. Additionally, you may need tools such as scissors, glue, and a ruler.

4. What are the benefits of constructing a Joule car?

Constructing a Joule car is a fun and educational activity that allows you to learn about the principles of physics and energy. It also promotes creativity and problem-solving skills as you design and build your car. Additionally, it is a great way to demonstrate the power of renewable energy sources, such as gravity.

5. Can a Joule car be modified or improved?

Yes, a Joule car can be modified or improved in various ways. You can experiment with different materials, designs, and slopes to see how they affect the car's speed and distance traveled. You can also add features such as a braking system or a mechanism to store and release the car's potential energy more efficiently.