A-level student with a love for particle physics

In summary, the speaker is a first-year A level student who has completed the particle physics parts of their curriculum. They have found out that they will not be learning more about this topic in the following year and are disappointed. They ask for recommendations on how to learn more about particle physics outside of school, and are advised to check out MIT open courseware and potentially enroll in a distance learning program at a local school for a reduced rate.
Zeshan
I am currently in my first year of A levels and we have completed the particle physics parts of this year and by asking my teacher and A2 physics students I have found that next year we will not be going into much more detail regarding particle physics. This left me somewhat disappointed as I won't be taught anymore material about my favourite part of physics. So, I was wondering how I could learn more about this field right now seeing as I will not be formally taught it until I get to university. Any book or lecture recommendations would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Check out MIT open courseware. They should have online open class with material and sample work for you to review. Other universities also have similar programs where you can look over the course content. It is free and informative.

You may consider enrolling a distance learning program and attending. Local schools will give you an instate rate and sometimes online programs receive a preferential rate as well.

1. What is particle physics?

Particle physics is a branch of physics that studies the fundamental building blocks of matter and their interactions. It explores the smallest particles in the universe, such as quarks, leptons, and bosons, and how they interact to create the complex structures we see in the world around us.

2. What is an A-level student?

An A-level student is a student in the final two years of their secondary education in the UK. A-levels are advanced level qualifications that are typically taken between the ages of 16-18 and are considered equivalent to the first year of university studies.

3. What inspired you to pursue particle physics?

As an A-level student, I have always been fascinated by the mysteries of the universe and how it works. I was drawn to particle physics because it allows me to understand the fundamental laws and principles that govern the universe, and it has the potential to answer some of the biggest questions in science.

4. What are some common career paths for someone with a love for particle physics?

Some common career paths for someone with a love for particle physics include research scientists, professors, engineers, and data analysts. Many also go on to work at scientific research facilities, such as CERN, or in industries that utilize particle physics, such as healthcare and energy.

5. What advice do you have for someone interested in studying particle physics?

My advice would be to take as many math and science courses as you can, and to never stop asking questions and exploring your curiosity about the world around us. Also, try to get involved in research projects or internships to gain hands-on experience in the field. Lastly, always stay updated on the latest developments and breakthroughs in particle physics through reading scientific journals and attending conferences and seminars.