A limit of an indexed integral at closed interval

In summary, the conversation is about proving the limit of a sequence involving continuous functions ρ(x) and ψ(x) on the interval [-1,1]. By defining sequencing functions and using the mean value theorem for integrals, it is shown that the limit can be simplified to ψ(0) as n approaches infinity. The conversation ends with the speaker thanking the expert for their help.
BaitiTamam
Let ρ(x) be a continuous function on ℝ, which evaluates ρ(x)=0 when |x|≥1 and that meets following.

∫[-1,1]ρ(x)dx=1

And let ψ(x) be a continuous function on interval [-1,1], prove

lim[n→∞] n∫[-1,1]ρ(nx)ψ(x)dx = ψ(0).

is denoted.

This is NOT a homework but a past exam problem of a college that has no answer.
I've been thinking for a whole day now.

What I have found so far:

First I defined sequencing functions as following:

F_n(x)=∫[-1,x]ρ(ny)ψ(y)dy
G_n(x)=∫[x,1]ρ(ny)ψ(y)dy

Now given a properly large natural number of n_0 which completes n_0≥1/y (where y≠0),
for all n∈N of n≥n_0, ρ(ny) evaluates 0. In this sense, taken a small positive number ε>0 instead of y, we only have to concern that of a small closed interval of [-ε,ε] as to nF_n(-ε) and nG_n(ε) gives 0 (for all n≥n_0≥1/ε).

So for all n same above,

n∫[-1,1]ρ(nx)ψ(x)dx = n∫[-ε,ε]ρ(nx)ψ(x)dx

And I have a stuck.
Please help ;)

Physics news on Phys.org
First change variables (just for simplicity)
n∫[-1,1]ρ(nx)ψ(x)dx =∫[-1,1]ρ(x)ψ(x/n)dx
now by the mean value theorem for integrals
∫[-1,1]ρ(x)ψ(x/n)dx =ψ(t/n)∫[-1,1]ρ(x)dx =ψ(t/n)
where |t|<1, but may depend upon ψ and n
consider
lim[n→∞] ψ(t/n)

>lurflurf

I got it. Changing variable was out of my thought.
Thank you:)

1. What is an indexed integral?

An indexed integral is a type of integral where the limits of integration are expressed as a function of a variable (usually denoted by an index). This allows for the integration of a function with varying limits.

2. What is the limit of an indexed integral?

The limit of an indexed integral is the value that the integral approaches as the index (variable) approaches a certain value. It can be thought of as the result of taking the integral at a specific point.

3. How is the limit of an indexed integral calculated?

The limit of an indexed integral can be calculated by first integrating the function with respect to the variable, and then evaluating the resulting expression at the limit value.

4. What is the significance of a closed interval in the limit of an indexed integral?

A closed interval in the limit of an indexed integral means that the variable (index) is allowed to take on all values within a specific range. This allows for a more accurate calculation of the limit as it considers all possible values of the variable.

5. Can the limit of an indexed integral be undefined?

Yes, the limit of an indexed integral can be undefined if the function being integrated is undefined at the limit value or if the integral itself does not converge. It is important to check for these cases when calculating the limit of an indexed integral.