1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A limit question

1. Oct 20, 2007 #1
    i added a file with the question and how i tried to solve it

lim [2+n^(1/3)]^(1/n)

in the end i always get (infinity)^0 type of object
    then i got stuck
    what to do next??

Attached Files:

• 6.JPG
      File size:
      4.5 KB
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2007 #2
    I am unable to see your file, so what limit are you looking for?

[tex]\lim_{x \to 0^-} [2+x^{\frac{1}{3}}]^{\frac{1}{x}} [/tex] or

[tex]\lim_{x \to 0^+} [2+x^{\frac{1}{3}}]^{\frac{1}{x}} [/tex] or

[tex]\lim_{x \to \infty} [2+x^{\frac{1}{3}}]^{\frac{1}{x}} [/tex] ?

Just a thought- let [tex]p=\lim_{x \to \infty} \frac{1}{x}[/tex] and evaluate. Then substitute into [tex]\lim_{x \to \infty} [2+x^{\frac{1}{3}}]^p [/tex] and evaluate.
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2007
  4. Oct 20, 2007 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

As n goes to infinity, this goes to 1.

As n gets very large, you may approximate this by [itex] n^{1/(3n)}[/itex]. taking the natural log of this (or log in any base), you can show that the ln goes to 0 as n goes to infinity. hence the initial function tends to e^0 = 1.
  5. Oct 20, 2007 #4
    ooohh sorry i forgot a part in the limit

lim [2+n^(1/3)]^(1/n)

and i did got

lim n^[1/(3n)]

you say i need to take log

it will be

log X =1/(3n)

i didnt understand how to solve it that way
  6. Oct 20, 2007 #5

Then, as I mentioned earlier, evaluate:
    [tex]p=\lim_{x \to \infty} \frac{1}{x}[/tex]

And plug into:
    [tex]\lim_{x \to \infty} [2+x^{\frac{1}{3}}]^p [/tex]

Any non-zero base, raised to the power of [tex]0[/tex], is...
  7. Oct 20, 2007 #6
    your first limit P gives me 0

the second one is infinity

and infinity^0 is not 1
    its undefined
  8. Oct 20, 2007 #7

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You need to consider the limit of [itex] \frac{\ln n}{n} [/itex]. The limit of this as n goes to infinity is zero. This is one of the basic limits and you probably can find the proof in yoru textbook.
  9. Oct 20, 2007 #8
    For the second limit atqamar posted [tex]\lim_{x \to \infty} [2+x^{\frac{1}{3}}]^p [/tex] is going to be 1 because anything other than zero raised to the 0 power is 1. How did you get undefined?

Edit: How did you get infinity to the zero power? Thats not what the base is going to be
  10. Oct 20, 2007 #9
    the base is :

2+ x^(1/3)

if x gose to infinity the the base gose to infinity

and p=0

it gives me (infinity)^0

and its undefined
  11. Oct 20, 2007 #10

Homework Helper

It is undefined because this is what is called an "indeterminate power"; other examples are 0^0 and 1^infinity. Nonetheless there will be a value for it.

The solution involves one of the more exotic applications of L'Hopital's Rule, since this first has to be wrestled into the form of an indeterminate ratio 0/0 or infinity/infinity.

You start off by taking the logarithm of your expression, which will be

lim n-> inf. (1/n) ln [2 + n^(1/3)] ; this now has the apparent result 0 · infinity (an indeterminate product).

You next rewrite this product as a ratio, since f · g = f / (1/g) ; it is usually best to put the logarithmic expression in the numerator to apply L'Hopital's Rule, since we're going to be taking derivatives:

lim n-> inf. ( ln [2 + n^(1/3) ] ) / n .

This now has the apparent value infinity/infinity, making it a candidate for L'Hopital's Rule. Differentiate numerator and denominator separately:

lim n-> inf. [ ( 1/{ 2 + n^(1/3) } ) · ( 1/{ 3 · n^(2/3) } ) ] / 1 [using the Chain Rule on the numerator]

Since n appears in the denominator raised to positive powers, once this compound fraction is simplified, the limit is (1/2)·(1/3)·0 = 0 .

This, however, is the natural logarithm of the original expression, so this limit is the natural logarithm of our original limit. So the original limit is e^0 = 1 .

This is a formal technique for dealing with such problems; as nrqed and atqamar point out, though, this one can sort of be "eyeballed" for a solution...
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?