What does a line in space look like?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a geometric line as a one dimensional mathematical object that is not a physical object. The use of coordinates to describe physical objects and the usefulness of lines and points in this description is also mentioned.
Kiki
If a line in space has no thickness, how can I distinguish the line from its surroundings when I look at the line such that I can't see its length? After all, in three dimensional space, you can look at a line from different angles.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
jedishrfu said:
A geometric line is a one dimensional mathematical object. It's an abstract idea. It's not a physical object that you might see, touch or run into. The same goes for a point or a plane.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line_(geometry)
Thanks.

Then why do we describe physical objects with coordinates (i.e. points)?

Kiki said:
Thanks.

Then why do we describe physical objects with coordinates (i.e. points)?

Basically because it is an extremely good way of describing objects and the positions of objects that let's us make useful, accurate predictions.

Likes mfb
The fact that you can't distinguish the line when looking at some specific angle (this happens in computer graphics, some objects become invisible when the view camera is at some angles/distances) , doesn't tell us much about how useful lines or points are for describing physical objects. In other words, so what if you can't distinguish the line, it is still useful for the reason @Drakkith says.

jedishrfu said:
A geometric line is a one dimensional mathematical object. It's an abstract idea. It's not a physical object that you might see, touch or run into.
For heaven's sake, don't tell the string theorists. :wink:

Likes Kiki, member 587159, Drakkith and 2 others

1. What is a line in space?

A line in space is a one-dimensional geometric figure that extends infinitely in both directions. It has no width or thickness and is often represented by a straight, continuous curve.

2. How is a line in space different from a line on a flat surface?

A line in space exists in three-dimensional space, whereas a line on a flat surface exists in two-dimensional space. This means that a line in space can extend in all directions, while a line on a flat surface is confined to only two directions.

3. Can a line in space have a beginning or an end?

No, a line in space is infinite and has no definite beginning or end. It can be extended infinitely in both directions.

4. How is a line in space represented or visualized?

A line in space can be represented by a straight, continuous curve, similar to how it is represented in two-dimensional space. It can also be visualized using mathematical equations or vector diagrams.

5. What is the importance of understanding lines in space in science?

Lines in space play a crucial role in various fields of science, such as mathematics, geometry, physics, and astronomy. They help us understand the concepts of distance, direction, and movement in three-dimensional space and are used in various scientific calculations and models.