Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B A line?

1. Jan 23, 2017 #1
    If a line in space has no thickness, how can I distinguish the line from its surroundings when I look at the line such that I can't see its length? After all, in three dimensional space, you can look at a line from different angles.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 23, 2017 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

A geometric line is a one dimensional mathematical object. It's an abstract idea. It's not a physical object that you might see, touch or run into. The same goes for a point or a plane.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line_(geometry)

4. Jan 23, 2017 #3
    Thanks.

Then why do we describe physical objects with coordinates (i.e. points)?

5. Jan 24, 2017 #4

Drakkith

Basically because it is an extremely good way of describing objects and the positions of objects that lets us make useful, accurate predictions.

6. Jan 24, 2017 #5
    The fact that you cant distinguish the line when looking at some specific angle (this happens in computer graphics, some objects become invisible when the view camera is at some angles/distances) , doesn't tell us much about how useful lines or points are for describing physical objects. In other words, so what if you cant distinguish the line, it is still useful for the reason @Drakkith says.

7. Jan 24, 2017 #6

fresh_42

For heaven's sake, don't tell the string theorists. :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted