1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Linear Momentum Problem

1. Jan 5, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A 10.0g bullet is fired horizontally into a 106 g wooden block that is initially at rest on a frictionless horizontal surface and connected to a spring of constant 155 N/m. If the bullet-block system compresses the spring by a maximum of 78.0 cm, what was the velocity of the bullet at impact with the block?

2. Relevant equations

where p is momentum, m is mass (kg), and v is velocity (m/s)

(1/2 m1 v1^2 + 1/2 m2 v2^2)initial = (1/2 m1 v1^2 + 1/2 m2 v2^2)final + 1/2kx^2
    Where m is mass (kg), v is velocity (m/s), k is the spring constant (N/m), and x is the distance of compression (meters).

(1/2 m1 v1^2 + 1/2 m2 v2^2)initial = (1/2m3 v3^2)final + 1/2kx^2
    Where m is mass (kg), v is velocity (m/s), k is the spring constant (N/m), x is the distance of compression (meters), m3 is the sum of the masses, and v3 is the combined, new velocity. Not even sure if this one makes sense, I kind of combined some equations.

3. The attempt at a solution

To sum up my attempt, I plugged all of my variables into my "combined" equation. Thus I had two variables, v1 and v3^2. I decided to make everything equal to v1 and plug that equation into the original "combined" equation. (I can't really copy that onto here because it had a gigantic square root symbol.) So then I solved for v3 and got a ridiculously low answer, 1.0217m/s. According to my text book, which has the same problem with different variables, the answer is 237m/s.

Can someone help me out? Also, is this considered a perfectly inelastic collision?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 5, 2008 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Yes, so energy is not conserved during the collision. But what else is?

After the collision, then you can use energy conservation.
  4. Jan 5, 2008 #3
    Momentum is, also. My main problem is that I can't set up a good equation (or two, if need be) or get rid of the double unknowns.
  5. Jan 5, 2008 #4

Doc Al

Think of the situation as having two phases:
    (1) The collision of bullet and block
    (2) The compressing of the spring after the collision

Set up equations for each phase. Each phase uses a different conservation law. Hint: You might want to analyze phase 2 first and work backwards.
  6. Jan 6, 2008 #5
    OK I tried this.

(1/2*m1*v1^2 + 1/2*m2*v2^2)final = ½*k*x^2
    And solved for v2
    I got 97.11 m/s, understanding that the final velocity of the bullet is 0 because it’s lodged into the block.
    Then I plugged it into (1/2*m1*v1^2 + 1/2*m2*v2^2)initial = (1/2*m1*v1^2 + 1/2*m2*v2^2)final + ½*k*x^2
    And solved for v1 initial.
    I got 137.317 m/s. This seems much more reasonable. Am I close?
  7. Jan 7, 2008 #6
    bro..u r missing the equilibrium condition of the spring....i.e. when the spring is in its natural state...think about it and then proceede..:p

also..never go on answers..they may be wrong ..

have self belief and proceed...if ur concepts are right..u may even deny the text book's answer..
  8. Jan 7, 2008 #7

Doc Al

The left side of this equation is incorrect. After the collision, the bullet and block move together with a single speed. Their KE = 1/2 (m1+m2)V^2. Find that speed.
    The final speed of the bullet (immediately after the collision) is not zero--it's the same speed as the block.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?