A liquid hardening wax material?

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a wax-like material that can be painted onto a surface and hardened to create fine details on a plastic model. Some suggestions for materials include dissolving wax in a fast-evaporating solvent, using melted wax applied with a brush, or trying an epoxy with the desired characteristics. However, caution is advised with fast-setting epoxies as they can generate a lot of heat and potentially melt the plastic. Other materials such as paraffin wax or Plaster of Paris with added thixotropic agents may also be worth considering.
kolleamm
TL;DR Summary
A liquid wax material that hardens
I need a wax like material I can buy that I can paint onto a surface and then have it harden on it's own. I want to create fine details on a plastic model, so I would coat the model in wax with a brush, have the wax dry, and then sculpt out the details later.

My ideas so far are wax for waxing off hair, though I wanted to see if you guys have any better ideas.

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
You could try dissolving wax in a fast evaporating solvent, then painting it on. But fast evaporating solvents are generally something that are not good to breathe.

I have coated things with wax by melting the wax, then painting it on with a brush. It worked very well for bonding to the surface and for building up thickness. Not so well for getting a smooth surface, but you could do a smoothing operation after the building up operation.

Likes kolleamm
Thanks for your suggestion! I'm still unsure if wax is the way to go though, but I suppose it's worth a try.

An alternative to wax may be one of the epoxies. It seems that the needed characteristics are:
  • somewhat viscous liquid to apply
  • rather high surface tension for self-leveling and smooth surface
  • moderately short time to solidify
  • workable with hand tools after hardening
Generally speaking, the faster an epoxy sets, the softer it is. The over-the-counter 5-minute epoxies would be a place to start the experiment. The setting time can be modified with temperature, they take longer to set at lower temperatures because chemical activity roughly halves for every 10°C drop.

The drawback is there is no second chance without using some rather nasty solvent.

(2nd thought, how about some White Glue... like Elmers?)

Cheers,
Tom

depending on the plastic, avoid any overly fast setting epoxies - they generate a lot of heat, and can melt plastic. Typically if you mix it in a plastic cup, as what's left in the cup cures, it crinkles down due to the heat.

paraffin wax has a low melting point and might serve for what you need. It depends if you want the final result to be sturdy, or just to make a mould of the model. Bear in mind that a soft wax will remain soft - if you make a mould, the wax will likely distort as you remove the model from it. you'll get one mould, but will have to make subsequent ones from a casting rather than the original master.

Off the top of my head, I would be thinking of Plaster of Paris with a thixotropic agent added. Wyoming Bentonite would spring to mind or possibly xanthan gum as readily available additives. I expect there are some fancy ones on the market that would be even better

I know that Plaster of Paris carves like a dream between setting and drying fully

If you have some leeway on applying hot materials, I would explore low melting point eutectics of inorganic chemicals or even organic ones. Most of the systems I know of would need sealing after carving because of their water solubility. Sorry, just freewheeling a bit here

1. What is a liquid hardening wax material?

A liquid hardening wax material is a type of wax that starts off as a liquid and then hardens into a solid form. It is commonly used in various industries such as cosmetics, art, and manufacturing.

2. How does liquid hardening wax material work?

Liquid hardening wax material typically contains a mixture of waxes, oils, and solvents. When the solvent evaporates, the wax and oils solidify, creating a hard and durable surface. The specific ingredients and proportions used can vary depending on the desired properties of the final product.

3. What are the benefits of using liquid hardening wax material?

There are several benefits to using liquid hardening wax material. It provides a smooth and glossy finish, is water-resistant, and can be easily applied and removed. It also has a longer shelf life compared to other types of wax and can be used on a variety of surfaces.

4. What are some common applications of liquid hardening wax material?

Liquid hardening wax material has a wide range of applications. It is commonly used in the production of candles, cosmetics such as lip balms and hair products, and in the manufacturing of various products such as furniture, shoes, and car wax.

5. Are there any safety concerns when working with liquid hardening wax material?

While liquid hardening wax material is generally safe to use, it is important to follow proper safety precautions. This includes working in a well-ventilated area and wearing protective gear such as gloves and goggles. It is also important to read and follow the instructions provided by the manufacturer.