Seeking Help with Stats: Sample Size Guidance Needed

In summary, the person is new to the forum and is seeking help in determining the sample size needed for customer satisfaction surveys for their company. They mention doing 100 installations per month and wanting to send out surveys to determine satisfaction levels, with a significance level of either 1% or 5%. The statistics will be generated on a monthly basis.
Betty-boop
Hi! I'm new to this forum. I took some stats in University but that was so long ago that I don't remember much.
I'm trying to figure out how big of a sample size I need to generate some stats for the company I work for. I'm not sure what info is needed but if anyone is interested in helping, I'd appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
That depends on the size of the company, what statistic you want to determine, and what level of significance you want.

Ok, it's for customer satisfaction surveys. We do 100 installations per month, we want to send out surveys to see whether our customers are satisfied with our service. So I'd like to see how many surveys we should send out. Significance level could be either 1% or 5% whichever results in less surveys (I forget how that works). The statistics will be generated on a monthly bases.

Last edited:

Related to Seeking Help with Stats: Sample Size Guidance Needed

What is sample size and why is it important?

Sample size refers to the number of participants or observations in a study. It is important because it affects the accuracy and reliability of the results. A larger sample size generally leads to more precise estimates and reduces the chance of errors.

How do I determine the appropriate sample size for my study?

The appropriate sample size depends on various factors such as the research question, study design, desired level of precision, and expected effect size. Statistical power analysis can help determine the minimum sample size needed to detect an effect with a given level of certainty.

What happens if my sample size is too small?

If your sample size is too small, the results may not be representative of the population and may not be generalizable. This can lead to inaccurate conclusions and may limit the statistical power of the study.

Is there a minimum or maximum sample size that I should aim for?

There is no specific minimum or maximum sample size that applies to all studies. The appropriate sample size depends on the research question and other factors. However, a sample size that is too small may lead to unreliable results, while a sample size that is too large may be unnecessary and can waste resources.

Can I adjust the sample size during the study if I realize it is not sufficient?

It is generally not recommended to adjust the sample size during a study, as this can introduce bias in the results. It is important to carefully plan and determine the appropriate sample size before starting the study. If the sample size is not sufficient, it may be necessary to conduct a follow-up study.