1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A man sits in a seat that is suspended from a rope (tension & force)

1. Feb 6, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    the rope passes over a pulley suspended from the ceiling, and the man holds the other end of the rope in his hands. What is the tension in the rope and what is the force supported by the pulley.

2. Relevant equations
    3 theories of newton

3. The attempt at a solution
    since its in equilibrium i guess that the force in the pulley is zero. the tension in the rope at the top is the weight of the person + chair and the weight of the rope.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 6, 2012 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello chaotiiic. Welcome to PF !

Is there any more information that goes with this question? --- like weight or mass of the man and/or the seat ?

According to the rules of this Forum: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=414380
    Homework Help: ...

NOTE: You MUST show that you have attempted to answer your question in order to receive help. You MUST make use of the homework template, which automatically appears when a new topic is created in the homework help forums. Once your question or problem has been responded to, do not go back and delete (or edit) your original post.

On helping with questions: Any and all assistance given to homework assignments or textbook style exercises should be given only after the questioner has shown some effort in solving the problem. If no attempt is made then the questioner should be asked to provide one before any assistance is given.​
    So you need to show what you know or what you're thinking about this problem before we can help.

"idk." is probably not enough.

4. Feb 6, 2012 #3

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

welcome to pf!

hi chaotiiic! welcome to pf! :wink:
    yes that's correct (except that we say "the force on the pulley" :wink:)

(oh, and if you're going to include the weight of the rope, then you should include the weight of the pulley also)

ok, that was the tension in the rope at the top…

now what about the tension in the other rope? :smile:

5. Feb 6, 2012 #4
    @sammy thanks for the welcome. there is no additional info given. its just a written response. no math.

@tiny the problem doesnt specify which part of rope where i find tension. idk if its at the top on the pulley, tied to the chair, or held by the man's hand. after skimming through my book i guess the tension at the pulley is the weight of the rope + man + chair. the tension at point tied to the chair is just the rope. the tension held by the man's hand is also just the rope. is this right?

6. Feb 6, 2012 #5

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

yes it does … it asks for the tension in the rope that passes over the pulley (ie up to the pulley, over the top, and down again)
    this doesn't make any sense :redface:

tension can't be at a point, or in someone's hand

there is a rope, it has a tension

do you know what a free-body diagram is? if so, draw one for each of the bodies in the question​

7. Feb 6, 2012 #6
    my teacher sucks. he gives out quizes before the actual lecture. the good news is that they are take home quizzes. yes i knda know what free body diagrams are because my book showed me a couple examples but we havent done any in class. im just going to put the tension is the ropes weight + man + chair.

8. Feb 7, 2012 #7

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi chaotiiic! :smile:

(just got up :zzz: …)
    that's no way to learn :redface:

draw the fee body diagram for the man-and-seat…

draw all the external forces on that body (how many are there?) …

now add them up :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook