1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Foundations A math book for first year at University? (Similar to Tipler)

1. Jul 20, 2016 #1
    Hi folks,

I was wondering if there exists a generic book that explains all the math for a first year at the university. I am thinking about a book like Tipler in Physics, but for Math.

The topics I need to review are:

Vectors in 3d. Scalar, vector and mixed product.

Trigonometry.

Straight line (relative position, equations...)

Conic sections. Solving angles, distances, areas, volumes.

Real functions. Limits.

Continuity and derivavility. Applications.

Integral calculus: primitive function, indefinite integrals, chage of variables, definite integrals. Fundamental theorem. Barrow rule. Area of plane regions.

Two dimensional statistics. Linear regresion.

Discrete random variables. Probability functions. Continuous random variables. Density functions. Distribution functions. Normal distribution.

¡Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 20, 2016 #2
    Maybe you are looking for Precalculus and Calculus by James Stewart, but they do not include statistics or probability :/

4. Jul 20, 2016 #3
    Thanks anyway!

5. Jul 21, 2016 #4
    Hubbard/Hubbard's Vector Calculus, Linear Algebra, and Differential Forms coupled with APEX Calculus books. The former is excellent introduction to the rigorous vector calculus with LA (and also includes some applications to statistics), and latter is very explanatory (but basic) and free.

6. Jul 22, 2016 #5
    Open Source books, interesting.

Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted