A metal that heats ''quickly'' and maintains temperature

In summary, the OP is looking for a metal with high emissivity and thermal conductivity, low heat capacity, and a phase change near 100 degrees C in order to heat quickly with sunlight and then hold its heat without continuing to heat. Encasing a second material that undergoes a phase change may be necessary.
jc.int
hello,
I've got an idea for a project but I'd need to know if there's some kind of metal (it would be great if it was a common/affordable one, not very rare/expensive) that heats rather quickly with sunlighth (like iron) but when it gets at a temperature (say, 100ºC) doesn't continue heating (or heats slowlier).

Thank you,
Jaime

Engineering news on Phys.org
What you are looking for is a metal with a high emissivity so that it absorbs sunlight well and, if I understand you correctly, high thermal conductivity so that it reaches equilibrium temperature quickly. I think lead would meet your needs, although dull iron or steel would also work.

Traditional cast iron is what you are looking for in my humble opinion.

Think about the cast iron radiators in a hydronic or steam heating system. The radiators heated relatively quickly and then held their heat and emitted it over time due to the large thermal mass of the radiator. The rate of transfer of the heat (cooling) is directly related to the surrounding air temperature. The rate of heat absorbtion of the metal decreases as the metal temp approaches the temp of the heat source.

Disclaimer: I am not an engineer. Just a plumbing, heating, and cooling contractor.

Hello! I am not a scientist but maybe I have a direction for you to go. There is a new product coming out (no, I am not selling it) called Coffee Joulies. They are stainless steel "beans" with a proprietary substance inside that absorbs heat quickly but releases it slowly. The info says "Joulies are filled with a proprietary substance called a “Phase Change Material” (PCM) that melts at 140°F...)

So perhaps you need to find a metal that has a certain, low, melting point like gallium and then encase it. Good luck!

Someone correct me if I am wrong but you may be looking for a material with a
relatively low diffusivity.

Diffusivity is a material property that is the ratio of THERMAL CONDUCTANCE to VOLUMETRIC HEAT CAPACTIANCE. That is:

[tex] \alpha = \frac{k}{\rho c_p} [/tex]

So a higher diff allows for a metal to be heated up quicker, but not hold the heat as quickly. A lower metal diff will take a longer time to heat up, but will hold the heat better. You should be able to find a list of these online, or you may have to calculate them yourself.

Winzer, do you mean high diffusivity? Heat capacitance is the amount of energy required to heat up the material by one degree, so we want that to be very low for it to heat quickly. We also want high thermal conductance so that the material heats quickly throughout the bulk.

To summarize everything that I think is correct that has been said so far, you are looking for a material with high thermal conductivity, low heat capacity, and high emissivity. However, the OP also wants something that heats very slowly after 100 degrees C. For this we need something that drastically changes in either emissivity or heat capacity near 100 degrees C. This generally means that a phase change is required. However, I'm not aware of many materials that have serious changes in emissivity on phase change, however heat capacity is known to change drastically upon phase change. SecretTheme had a good point when referring to coffee joulies, I think you may need to encase a 2nd material that undergoes a phase change in a shell for this to work.

What is a metal that heats quickly and maintains temperature?

A metal that heats quickly and maintains temperature is a type of metal that has a high thermal conductivity, meaning it can transfer heat efficiently and effectively. This allows the metal to quickly heat up and maintain its temperature for a longer period of time compared to other metals.

What are the characteristics of a metal that heats quickly and maintains temperature?

The characteristics of a metal that heats quickly and maintains temperature include a high thermal conductivity, good heat retention, and high melting point. These properties allow the metal to quickly absorb and retain heat, making it ideal for applications that require consistent and precise temperature control.

What are some common uses of metals that heat quickly and maintain temperature?

Metals that heat quickly and maintain temperature are commonly used in applications such as cookware, industrial heating equipment, and temperature-sensitive scientific experiments. They are also used in the production of electronics and in the aerospace industry.

How does the thermal conductivity of a metal affect its ability to heat quickly and maintain temperature?

The higher the thermal conductivity of a metal, the better it is at transferring heat. This means that a metal with high thermal conductivity will heat up quickly and maintain its temperature for a longer period of time compared to a metal with lower thermal conductivity.

Are all metals that heat quickly also good at maintaining temperature?

No, not all metals that heat quickly are good at maintaining temperature. Some metals may have a high thermal conductivity but a low heat retention capacity, meaning they can heat up quickly but lose heat just as quickly. It is important to consider both properties when looking for a metal that can heat quickly and maintain temperature.