A model based on two roads and traffic lights probability

In summary, the conversation discusses building a model for a probability problem involving two roads controlled by a traffic light. Factors such as traffic flow, presence of sensors, and network effects are considered when determining the optimal timing for the green light. The speaker suggests assigning probabilities to each road and using 30 second intervals for the lights, but acknowledges that this may not be sufficient in more complex scenarios.
Juliayaho
Hello this is Julia.
I wanted to build a model with a probability problem with the following.

Consider the intersection of two roads controlled by a traffic light. The model should consider probabilistic the arrival of automobiles in each direction. Then evaluate how you would set the timing for the length that the light is green in each direction.

These are some Factors that could be consider (Not all needed):
What if the traffic is very light in one road and very heavy in the other?
What if there are sensors to detect the presence of automobiles at the intersection?
What if there are no sensors?
What possible criteria could you use to determine the "goodness" of alternative timing schemes?
How does the optimal timing of the traffic light depend on different evaluation criteria?
What if you had to consider network effects such as two or more traffic lights relatively near each other, so that the timing at one light affects the arrival rates and optimal timing at others?This is what I think so far
Maybe all modern roads with heavy traffic require sensors now, so probability of traffic flow would not be relevant.

So if I have a two minute cycle with the lights and section the two minutes according to the probabilities assigned to the two roads. For example, if the probability that a car will arrive next in road A is P(A) = a, then the probability that a car will arrive next in road B is P(B) = 1 - a.

I could assign the lights "2a" for road A and "2(1-a)" for road B, then I think I need to decide about how long I will allow yellow/amber light from the green.Any ideas of how I can set it up? Or maybe any different ideas about a model involving traffic lights and those 2 roads?
Any help/thoughts will be much appreciated.
Thanks!

Ps. Not sure if its necessary to use mathlab or if I could use excel

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Re: A model based on 2 roads and traffic lights probability.

Hi Julia! :)

I've neglected to answer this thread of yours since the problem statement is really a bit too general, since these traffic light problems are really difficult.
I do not know if you're still interested, but let me make an initial statement.

In its simplest form you will want to distinguish 4 different situations.
Can you tell which ones?
The "first order" solution for that would be to set the traffic lights to green/red in each situation in 30 second intervals.
This is typically what work-in-progress traffic lights do.
Of course, in more realistic scenarios this is simply not good enough.

Care to join the discussion?

Related to A model based on two roads and traffic lights probability

1. What is the purpose of creating a model based on two roads and traffic lights probability?

The purpose of creating this model is to simulate and analyze the flow of traffic on two roads intersecting with traffic lights. This can help researchers and engineers understand the impact of different traffic light timings and patterns on overall traffic flow and efficiency.

2. How is the probability of traffic lights changing factored into the model?

The model takes into account the historical data of traffic light timings and uses probability distributions to determine the likelihood of traffic lights changing at a certain time. This helps create a more realistic simulation of real-world traffic scenarios.

3. What are the main components of the model?

The main components of the model include the two intersecting roads, the traffic lights, and the vehicles. The model also takes into account factors such as vehicle speed, traffic density, and probability of traffic light changes.

4. What are some potential applications of this model?

This model can be used for various applications, such as optimizing traffic light timings to reduce congestion and improve traffic flow, designing efficient road networks, and predicting the impact of new developments on traffic patterns.

5. How accurate is this model in predicting real-world traffic scenarios?

The accuracy of the model depends on the quality of the data and assumptions used. With accurate data and realistic assumptions, this model can provide valuable insights and predictions about traffic flow. However, it should be noted that real-world traffic is influenced by various unpredictable factors, so the model may not be 100% accurate in all cases.