A most admirable scientist whom you've met

• Thread starter Loren Booda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Scientist
In summary, the speaker recalls meeting Harold Edgerton, the inventor of the strobe light and high-speed photography, at MIT in 1977. Dr. Edgerton showed them around his laboratory and inspired them with his work, ranging from filming atomic blasts to the movements of a hummingbird's wings. The speaker has met other renowned scientists, but remembers Dr. Edgerton as the kindest and most inspiring.
Loren Booda
Please relate of a great scientist whom you've met and admired.

He who comes to my mind is Harold Edgerton, the inventor of the strobe light and high-speed photography.

My father took me to MIT, one of my prospective schools to interview in 1977. He introduced me to Dr. Edgerton, who kindly took the time to show us the laboratory which he loved. The classic picture of an apple being cored by a bullet. The optical illusion of water returning uphill to its faucet. A coronet of milk drops.

I have met a few renowned scientists - some private, some evil, some gentle, some harsh, some hospitable, some deceptive, and all human.

But most kind was Dr. Edgerton, who led us on a tour of his miraculous lab. He instilled within us the curiosity of a natural philosopher. The magic he made inspired many, layman and scientist alike. His work varied from filming atomic blasts to the flap of a hummingbird's wings. With his passing, one more great and modest scientist met eternity in a flash.

Physics news on Phys.org
I almost talked to Frank Wilczek once.

Dr. Edgerton's passion for his work and his ability to capture the unseen moments of our world left a lasting impression on me. He was not only a brilliant inventor and scientist, but also a kind and humble human being. His love for sharing knowledge and inspiring curiosity in others was evident in the way he spoke about his work and his willingness to give us a tour of his lab.

His contributions to high-speed photography have revolutionized the way we see and understand the world around us. From capturing the precise moment of a bullet piercing an apple to revealing the intricate movements of a hummingbird, Dr. Edgerton's work has expanded our understanding of time and motion.

Meeting and talking to Dr. Edgerton was a privilege and an inspiration. He showed me that science is not just about facts and figures, but also about passion, creativity, and curiosity. He reminded me that the greatest scientists are not just those who make groundbreaking discoveries, but also those who share their knowledge and inspire others to continue the pursuit of knowledge.

Dr. Edgerton's legacy continues to inspire me in my own scientific endeavors, and I am grateful for the opportunity to have met such a remarkable and admirable scientist.

1. Who is the most admirable scientist you've met?

The most admirable scientist I have met is [Name], a renowned expert in [field of study].

2. What makes this scientist so admirable?

This scientist is admirable for their dedication, passion, and contributions to their field of study. They have made significant discoveries and advancements, and are highly respected by their colleagues.

3. Can you share a memorable experience you had with this scientist?

One memorable experience I had with this scientist was when I had the opportunity to assist them in their research. It was inspiring to see their intelligence and work ethic in action, and I learned a lot from the experience.

4. What qualities do you think are important for a scientist to have?

In my opinion, some important qualities for a scientist to have include curiosity, critical thinking skills, attention to detail, and perseverance. A good scientist also needs to have strong communication skills and the ability to collaborate with others.

5. How has this scientist influenced your own career in science?

This scientist has been a great mentor to me and has influenced my career in many ways. Their passion and dedication have motivated me to work harder and pursue my own research interests. They have also provided valuable guidance and advice throughout my career.