A Mysterious Calculus Operation

• Thread starter Saketh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculus
In summary: Now, the integral that you have is straightforward. You can split it into two parts, and the first part is simply an arctangent function. You just have to be careful with the limits of integration, which you can figure out by drawing a triangle.In summary, the given equation can be solved by performing the integration with respect to r, using the given formula. This will result in two parts, one of which is an arctangent function. By carefully considering the limits of integration, which can be figured out by drawing a triangle, you can arrive at the given solution.
Saketh
I was doing a physics problem which leads me to this equation:
[tex]
V = \frac{\sigma}{4\pi \epsilon_0}\int_{0}^{R}\int_{0}^{2\pi} \frac{r}{\sqrt{R^2 + r^2 - 2Rr\cos{\theta}}} \,d\theta \,dr
[/tex]
Stumped by the math, I turned to the solution. However, without a word of explanation, the solution jumps from the above equation to the following:
[tex]
V = \frac{\sigma}{4\pi \epsilon_0}R\int_{0}^{2\pi} \cos{\theta} \ln{\left ( 1 + \frac{\sqrt{2}}{\sqrt{1-\cos{\alpha}} \right ) }\,dA +8R - 2\pi R
[/tex]
I had no idea how that happened. I would appreciate it if someone could explain what I should to do arrive at this latter equation. I don't need a full explanation, just a push in the right direction.

EDIT: I understand that it's an integral, I just don't understand how the integral was done. Specifically, this one:
[tex]
\int_{0}^{R} \frac{r}{\sqrt{R^2 + r^2 - 2Rr\cos{\theta}}} \,dr
[/tex]
Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
To find the solution you first have to perform the integration with respect [tex]r[/tex].

By the way, you have to observe that:

[tex]\frac{r}{\sqrt{r^2 +R^2 - 2 R r \cos \theta}} = \frac{r - R \cos \theta}{\sqrt{(r-R \cos \theta)^2 + R^2 \sin^2 \theta}} + \frac{R \cos \theta}{\sqrt{(r-R \cos \theta)^2 + R^2 \sin^2 \theta}}}[/tex].

Last edited:

1. What is a mysterious calculus operation?

A mysterious calculus operation refers to a mathematical process or procedure that may seem cryptic or difficult to understand, but is based on principles and rules of calculus.

2. How is a mysterious calculus operation different from a regular calculus operation?

A mysterious calculus operation may involve unconventional methods or approaches to solving a problem, whereas a regular calculus operation follows established rules and formulas.

3. Why is a mysterious calculus operation important?

A mysterious calculus operation challenges our understanding of calculus and encourages critical thinking and problem-solving skills. It also allows for the exploration of new mathematical concepts and techniques.

4. Can anyone perform a mysterious calculus operation?

Yes, anyone with a basic understanding of calculus can attempt a mysterious calculus operation. However, it may require advanced knowledge and skills to fully comprehend and solve a mysterious calculus problem.

5. Are there any real-life applications of a mysterious calculus operation?

Yes, mysterious calculus operations can be used to solve complex real-world problems in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. They can also help us better understand and analyze natural phenomena.