1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Nice Vector Cross Product Proof.

1. Feb 6, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If a, b, c, d are all vectors contained in the same plane, explain why
    (a X b) X (c X d) = <0,0,0>

2. Relevant equations
    The Cross Product!

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that since all of the vectors are in the same plane that means that a cross product between any of the vector will either be parallel, or anti-parallel. In this case the two cross products done create a vector with an angle of 180 degrees between them. So when they are crossed the result is 0. I just do not know how to "mathematically" prove this.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 6, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't see anything wrong with the angle argument. But if you want something more algebraic, if all four vectors lie in the same plane then they are all linear combinations of two basis vectors for the plane, say u and v. Any ideas where to go from there?

4. Feb 6, 2013 #3

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Here's an alternate approach. Assuming you have the identity:$$
    \vec A \times (\vec C \times \vec D)=(\vec A \cdot \vec D)\vec C - (\vec A\cdot
    \vec C)\vec D$$Use that with ##\vec A## replaced by ##\vec A \times \vec B## and use what you know about the triple scalar (box) product of coplanar vectors.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook