Are Saturn's Rings Caused by Fractal Structures?

In summary, the paper suggests that there are a number of big questions about the stability of Saturn's rings, and that further research is needed. It references James Clerk Maxwell's work on the subject, and seems to suggest that his theory is still not fully understood.
Jimster41
It's very recent, but it discusses the question of cause of and stability of Saturn's and other ring systems. I came to this site wondering about them. I got the impression from answers received here they were well understood? This paper seems to suggest there are a number of big questions, and has some interesting (if a bit exotic) ideas about what's going on with them. Anyone heard of the guy?

I'm interested in other references to the topic.

The fractal theory of the Saturn Ring
Mikhail Zelikin
(Submitted on 9 Jun 2015)
The true reason for partition of the Saturn ring as well as rings of other planets into great many of sub-rings is found. This reason is the theorem of Zelikin-Lokutsievskiy-Hildebrand about fractal structure of solutions to generic piece-wise smooth Hamiltonian systems. The instability of two-dimensional model of rings with continues surface density of particles distribution is proved both for Newtonian and for Boltzmann equations. We do not claim that we have solved the problem of stability of Saturn ring. We rather put questions and suggest some ideas and means for researches.
Comments: 19 pages, 1 figure
Subjects: Dynamical Systems (math.DS); Mathematical Physics (math-ph)
Cite as: arXiv:1506.02908 [math.DS]
(or arXiv:1506.02908v1 [math.DS] for this version)

http://arxiv.org/abs/1506.02908

Astronomy news on Phys.org
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Ralf_Srama/publication/42345171_An_evolving_view_of_Saturn%27s_dynamic_rings/links/00b4951d46424cb9d3000000.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Jimster41
Jimster41 said:
It's very recent, but it discusses the question of cause of and stability of Saturn's and other ring systems. I came to this site wondering about them. I got the impression from answers received here they were well understood? This paper seems to suggest there are a number of big questions, and has some interesting (if a bit exotic) ideas about what's going on with them. Anyone heard of the guy?

I'm interested in other references to the topic.

The fractal theory of the Saturn Ring
Mikhail Zelikin
(Submitted on 9 Jun 2015)
The true reason for partition of the Saturn ring as well as rings of other planets into great many of sub-rings is found. This reason is the theorem of Zelikin-Lokutsievskiy-Hildebrand about fractal structure of solutions to generic piece-wise smooth Hamiltonian systems. The instability of two-dimensional model of rings with continues surface density of particles distribution is proved both for Newtonian and for Boltzmann equations. We do not claim that we have solved the problem of stability of Saturn ring. We rather put questions and suggest some ideas and means for researches.
Comments: 19 pages, 1 figure
Subjects: Dynamical Systems (math.DS); Mathematical Physics (math-ph)
Cite as: arXiv:1506.02908 [math.DS]
(or arXiv:1506.02908v1 [math.DS] for this version)

http://arxiv.org/abs/1506.02908
James Clerk Maxwell worked on the structure and stability of the rings in 1857 and won the Adam's Prize at Cambridge for his work. His public paper was published in 1859 "On the Stability of the Motion of Saturn's Rings". He also made a mechanical model showing the particles having four modes of vibration. Sorry, that's all I know.

Likes Jimster41 and Dr. Courtney
tech99 said:
James Clerk Maxwell worked on the structure and stability of the rings in 1857 and won the Adam's Prize at Cambridge for his work. His public paper was published in 1859 "On the Stability of the Motion of Saturn's Rings". He also made a mechanical model showing the particles having four modes of vibration. Sorry, that's all I know.

Yeah, the paper refs LaPlace, Boltzmann and that very Maxwell paper, he then works through a Boltzmann model, applies the stationary (non-time dependent) Maxwell solution, then "proves" the solutions cannot explain observation.

P.12 "Hence the steady state surface density in two-dimensional model B cannot be smooth relative to the space variables"

I couldn't follow his Diff EQ but I got some of it. I'd be interested in hearing a real explanation and critique of it.

The paper DrCourtney linked is from 2010, but does reference the "as yet undetected satellite resonance influences" something like that. Which seems to be where he's coming from.

The gist of his theory has to do with the polyhedron of satellites and their effect, and solutions to the Boltzmann model related to the "Fuller Problem" and "Pontryagin type Hamiltonian Problems" page 15 is totally Greek to me. Wish I understood it. The "Concluding remarks" section is wild. He quotes Maxwell at the end. It seems like a wild paper, but I want to understand how far our understanding is advanced, what is and isn't well understood.

Last edited:

1. What are Saturn's rings made of?

Saturn's rings are primarily composed of ice particles, with some rocky material mixed in. The exact composition varies, but it is mostly water ice with trace amounts of other elements.

2. How were Saturn's rings formed?

The exact origin of Saturn's rings is still a topic of debate among scientists. One theory is that the rings were formed from the debris of a moon that got too close to Saturn and was torn apart by the planet's gravity. Another theory is that the rings are remnants of a larger icy body that was disrupted by Saturn's gravity.

3. How many rings does Saturn have?

Saturn has a total of 7 main rings, labeled A through G. These rings are further divided into thousands of smaller ringlets.

4. Why do Saturn's rings appear different colors?

Saturn's rings appear different colors because of the way light is scattered and absorbed by the particles in the rings. The more reddish color of the rings is due to the presence of organic compounds, while the bluish color is caused by smaller particles of ice.

5. Can Saturn's rings be seen from Earth?

Yes, Saturn's rings can be seen from Earth with a telescope. However, the rings may appear different depending on the angle of the rings and the Earth's position. Sometimes, the rings may appear almost invisible, while at other times they may be more prominent.