A permutation group must be a euclidean group?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between permutations of elements in R(3) and the Euclidean group. While all permutations form a permutation group, the Euclidean group consists of only some of these permutations, specifically those that preserve distances between points in R(3). The Euclidean group is a subgroup of this larger permutation group, and a subgroup of the Euclidean group is the special orthogonal group, which only allows transformations that do not reverse orientation. The conversation concludes by stating that these groups are all just different types of permutations, but with specific properties.
xiaoxiaoyu
All the perutations of elements in R(3)(three dimension euclidean space) form a permutation group. This group must be E(3)(euclidean group)?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You are right that they will form a permutation group- but (if I follow your question) the Euclidean group will only consist of some of them. Think of a very random permutation, that won't result from an isometry of R^3.

I suppose you can say that the Euclidean group would be a subgroup of it though.

I don't think you follow my question. I mean All the permutations . So there is only one such permutation group.

That's what I thought you meant- so I don't think that you follow my answer:

If you take the group which consists of ALL permutations of elements of R(3) (which is going to be a huge set, of cardinality larger than that of the real numbers), then you will clearly get a group, but what I'm saying is that it won't be the Euclidean group.

The Euclidean group consists of all Euclidean transformations of R(3)- think of taking your copy of R(3), rotating it a bit, reflecting it and/or moving it about by translation. All such transformations will give you the Euclidean group- elements in this group of have the property, for example, that all elements remain the same distance from each other after the transformation.

This clearly isn't so for ALL permutations. Although all Euclidean transformations do describe permutations, I can imagine a permutation e.g. one which just switches (1,0,0) and (0,0,0) and fixes the rest which won't be in the Euclidean group. I suppose you can even see this from the cardinality of the groups- the cardinality of the Euclidean group will only be of order the same as the real numbers (I think), where as ALL permutations will be larger.

A subgroup of the Euclidean group could be where you force the origin to remain fixed. This will give you the orthogonal group O(3). This group is now compact (in a sense, doesn't go off to infinity) because you don't have infinite translations. There is a subgroup of this which is connected, called SO(3), the special orthogonal group. This one doesn't allow "flips", or orientation reversing transformations. All of these things are just permutations, but of a special sort. So, being groups themselves, we could say that they are subgroups of the group of ALL permutations of R(3). e.g. the Euclidean group, I imagine, is just all permutation of R(3) which preserves distances between points.

I hope this longer answer is more clear!

Thank you very much for your explanation!

1. What is a permutation group?

A permutation group is a mathematical concept that describes a collection of objects that can be rearranged or re-ordered in different ways. In other words, it is a set of transformations that can be applied to a given set of objects in order to change their order or arrangement.

2. What is a euclidean group?

A euclidean group is a type of permutation group that deals specifically with transformations of objects in a Euclidean space, which is a type of mathematical space that follows the principles of Euclidean geometry. In this type of group, the transformations preserve the distances and angles between the objects.

3. How are permutation groups and euclidean groups related?

Permutation groups can be considered as a subset of euclidean groups, as they are a type of transformation that preserves the structure of the objects being transformed. However, euclidean groups also include other types of transformations, such as rotations and reflections, while permutation groups only deal with reordering.

4. What is the significance of euclidean groups in science?

Euclidean groups have applications in various fields of science, such as physics, chemistry, and computer science. They are used to describe the symmetries and transformations of physical systems, as well as in the development of algorithms for computer graphics and image processing.

5. How can euclidean groups be represented mathematically?

Euclidean groups can be represented using matrices or by using the language of group theory, which involves defining a set of group elements and operations that preserve the properties of the group. They can also be represented using geometric objects, such as points, lines, and rotations, in a Euclidean space.