A physics major is not good preparation for a career in software development

In summary, the conversation discusses the misconception that a degree in physics, particularly a B.S., can lead to a career in programming. The speaker argues that this is not true, as the standard courses for physics majors do not include programming and the skills that are in demand for programming jobs are not taught in these programs. They also mention that the only successful candidates for programming jobs with a physics degree are those who self-taught programming skills. The conversation also addresses the idea of a degree being vocational training and the misleading advice given to students about job prospects with a physics degree.
rdg123 said:
Its high time that the engineering department is *NOT* treated as a cost centre that negatively impacts profits.

But the engineering department *is* a cost center that negatively impacts profits. Sales and marketing need *something* to sell, but the sad fact of the matter is that good sales and marketing can make money out of a so-so product, but bad sales and marketing will lose money with a great product.

That "build a better mousetrap" saying is just some engineer's wishful thinking.

Physics news on Phys.org
rdg123 said:
Imo, the tide is turning against CS grads with the hot new domain of multiscale modeling.

Something has to resurrect and breathe life into an intellectual pursuit for science and engineering. Right now, who wants to get a science Phd and be held accountable in the workplace? Or told you're over the hill at age 40? This is madness. Do you think the MBA's or MD's allow themselves to be treated like cannon fodder? Or face career change because they are obsolete or that their career is over because they screwed up?

Worst of all, is this absolute craziness of taking science/engineering at school and then pretending that working at wall street is somehow related. "I'm doing physics at Wall Street"...RUBBISH. To me, this is a failed physicist or mathematician.

No damn way am I going to engineering school to be some disposable grunt running about like some errand boy to meet the MBA's bonus.

Its high time that the engineering department is *NOT* treated as a cost centre that negatively impacts profits.

I do applaud your take on this (and I wish others had the same perspective), but unfortunately the nature of "free trade" and its associated side-effects is such that companies can (and will) look for people who will put up with the crap and part of the reason why so much stuff is out-sourced is for this reason.

Corporations have no borders and they will go to the place with the weakest human rights checks, laws, tax-codes, labor laws, and so on.

As long as everyone from the customers, to the governments and all the way back the workers (and even share-holders) support the way things are going then this will continue.

If you can show the MBA or suit just how much you and your co-workers really contribute (which at the end of the day for these kinds of people comes to their own bottom line as a result of your activities and your coworkers) then the arrogance can come to a halt.

Its like anything: if people think they can do whatever they want to other people, then certain kinds of personalities will. But it's like when a kid has a tantrum that when they get whacked in the face, they realize they aren't as high on the pedestal as they thought.

The best thing for these guys is honestly IMO to do your approach: figures mean nothing without actual produced goods and services. When they realize that they need people to actually produce stuff and they don't get people who do produce stuff (or they get people that do a really crappy job) then they should wake up and just be a pandering idiot until they get their "candy" back (i.e. their figures and bonuses).

The best thing that I think can happen is to let these idiots have their arrogance transcend into production so that their crappy goods go to market where people who want quality goods reject them and put them out of business.

If people want to buy these kind of crappy goods then let them: it is their choice, but the people who want other characteristics of quality will navigate towards companies that respect the people involved in the real production and those are the ones you want to work for.

TMFKAN64 said:
But the engineering department *is* a cost center that negatively impacts profits. Sales and marketing need *something* to sell, but the sad fact of the matter is that good sales and marketing can make money out of a so-so product, but bad sales and marketing will lose money with a great product.

That "build a better mousetrap" saying is just some engineer's wishful thinking.

Businesses are in the game of producing things in one way or another. The amount of actual "production" is something that people can debate across industries and products but the idea still stands.

As mentioned before, there are different kinds of markets with different ideas of value and necessity. The markets that shovel cheap **** around day after day won't care about things that the markets with different values and the desire to pay higher premiums for better products do.

There is still some level of diversity, and people can look for places that have specific kinds of values (and I mean not just the BS that you see in a corporate vision statement).

A lot of people do like to buy worthless cheap crap that doesn't demand those differing values and for the companies that are in for there own reasons, they probably can and will put a much lower emphasis and importance on non-sales aspects of the business to a point where you have the scenario the above poster was talking about.

But not every business has the same view: the business will ultimately be concerned with sales since that is the way they can make sure the doors are open tomorrow.

But people naturally have different priorities: corporations have obligations to their share-holders and profits at any expense may be #1 (even if this strategy leads to poor decision making and destroys companies in some situations), but some people actually start businesses to solve a problem of their own.

Some start businesses because all the other options were crappy or because something didn't exist so they created it. Some people start businesses to take their craft and make it into a way that they offer as a service to the public in exchange for resources to keep doing what they do and to expand their own endeavor whenever possible.

Not all places have the values, incentives, or the desire to operate or think like multi-nationals or other big conglomerates do.

rdg123 said:
Imo, the tide is turning against CS grads with the hot new domain of multiscale modeling.

Something has to resurrect and breathe life into an intellectual pursuit for science and engineering. Right now, who wants to get a science Phd and be held accountable in the workplace? Or told you're over the hill at age 40? This is madness. Do you think the MBA's or MD's allow themselves to be treated like cannon fodder? Or face career change because they are obsolete or that their career is over because they screwed up?

Worst of all, is this absolute craziness of taking science/engineering at school and then pretending that working at wall street is somehow related. "I'm doing physics at Wall Street"...RUBBISH. To me, this is a failed physicist or mathematician.

No damn way am I going to engineering school to be some disposable grunt running about like some errand boy to meet the MBA's bonus.

I know mathematicians can do mathematical finance on Wall Street (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematical_finance). I'm not really sure how physicists would do physics.

I think it depends on what kind of software development. I feel like I could definitely prototype scientific software in MATLAB or python with innovative data visualization and data interaction/analysis.