A problem about momentum conservation.

In summary, from the conversation it is clear that the electric field of a moving charge is different from that of a charge at rest, as per Special Relativity. This means that the law of action-reaction is not verified and a certain amount of mechanical momentum is lost. The mistake lies in treating this system classically and ignoring the energy and momentum carried by the electromagnetic field. It is important to apply the Liénard-Wiechert potentials and consider the equations of motion for the particles themselves. The A-level tag indicates a higher understanding of the subject, so it is important to understand this concept properly. The force on a charge is equal to the product of the charge value and the local electric field, but in this scenario, the
Enryque
Imagine two equal charges, one at rest and the other moving uniformly. From Special Relativity we know that the electric field of the moving charge is different respect the one of the charge at rest. So the two forces of the interaction do not verify the law of action-reaction and there is a certain amount of mechanical momentum lost.

Where is the mistake?

Physics news on Phys.org
The interaction of two charged particles is not instantaneous, this would violate causality. In order to treat this system properly, you cannot ignore the energy and momentum carried by the electromagnetic field. All interactions are local between the charges and the fields and the charges do not interact directly with each other. If the charges are not moving uniformly (which they will not be if they are accelerated by each other's fields), then you cannot just take the "fields of a moving charge" that you will find in the standard textbook and compute the forces of those. You need to apply the Liénard-Wiechert potentials which will be coupled with the equations of motion for the particles themselves.

Edit: Also note that the A-level tag indicates that you have an understanding of the subject at the level of a graduate student or higher. As your questions suggests that you do not, I have changed the thread level to I.

Likes vanhees71
Orodruin said:
The interaction of two charged particles is not instantaneous, this would violate causality. In order to treat this system properly, you cannot ignore the energy and momentum carried by the electromagnetic field. All interactions are local between the charges and the fields and the charges do not interact directly with each other. If the charges are not moving uniformly (which they will not be if they are accelerated by each other's fields), then you cannot just take the "fields of a moving charge" that you will find in the standard textbook and compute the forces of those. You need to apply the Liénard-Wiechert potentials which will be coupled with the equations of motion for the particles themselves.

Edit: Also note that the A-level tag indicates that you have an understanding of the subject at the level of a graduate student or higher. As your questions suggests that you do not, I have changed the thread level to I.
Thanks for your soon response and adjust the level.

It seems I agree with you about the locality and causality; however the problem is no clear for me. I suppose that this problem can be addressed clasically, with the idea that the force on a charge equals the product of the charge value by the local electric field .

Imagine two external forces such that maintains the motion state of the two charges : namely one at rest and the other with uniform velocity. If we apply the basic mechanics, the external forces must balance the internal ones if the motion state is preserved; and to a external observer, the sum of external forces must be null if the motion of the center of mass is uniform. Also the field is stationary and there is no wave phenomena. So I do not understand well, why the internal forces are not of equal magnitude and opposites.

Enryque said:
I suppose that this problem can be addressed clasically, with the idea that the force on a charge equals the product of the charge value by the local electric field .
No, you cannot address this classically. Electromagnetism is an inherently relativistic theory. If you take the classical limit, the electric field of the charges is the same and you do not have a problem.

Enryque said:
Also the field is stationary and there is no wave phenomena
If one of the particles is moving, the EM field is not stationary.

Enryque said:
So I do not understand well, why the internal forces are not of equal magnitude and opposites
I don't think that this is correct. In the scenario you describe I think that the internal forces are equal.

Have you actually worked out the math on this?

Dale said:
I don't think that this is correct. In the scenario you describe I think that the internal forces are equal.

Have you actually worked out the math on this?

As I belive, the fields of the two puntual charges are, in modulus,like this (R.K. Wangsness - Electromagnetic Fields)

Erest=q/4πεr ; Emotion=Erestf(v,θ)

if we put the two charges aligned with the relative velocity θ=0 and we have

Emotion=Erest(1-v2/c2)

so the force on the charge at rest is less intense than the force on the moving charge.

Enryque said:
As I belive, the fields of the two puntual charges are, in modulus,like this (R.K. Wangsness - Electromagnetic Fields)

Erest=q/4πεr ; Emotion=Erestf(v,θ)

if we put the two charges aligned with the relative velocity θ=0 and we have

Emotion=Erest(1-v2/c2)

so the force on the charge at rest is less intense than the force on the moving charge.
I don't know the assumptions of that equation, so I don't trust it. However, I did the calculation using the Lienard Wiechert potential and got a similar result.

However, it is important to note that the direction of the force changes when the charges pass each other. Thus, even though the force on the charge at rest is always less intense, the direction of the change in mechanical momentum flips as the charges pass each other. So on one side there is mechanical momentum going into the fields from the system and on the other side the flow of momentum between the fields and the charges is reversed. Unfortunately, I don't know how to deal with the singularities to demonstrate it, but Poynting's theorem guarantees it.

Enryque said:

Well that is not very true at all, whatever the direction of the motion is.

A moving electric field is kind of concentrated to an area. It's kind of length-contracted.

So therefore:

The force on the charge at rest is more intense than the force on the moving charge, when the charge at rest is located somewhere on the area with the concentrated electric field.

On some other areas the force on the charge at rest is less intense than the force on the moving charge.

1. What is momentum conservation?

Momentum conservation is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant. This means that in a system where there are no external forces acting, the total momentum before an event or interaction is equal to the total momentum after the event or interaction.

2. Why is momentum conservation important?

Momentum conservation is important because it helps us understand and predict the behavior of objects in motion. It is a fundamental law of physics and is used in various fields such as mechanics, electromagnetism, and thermodynamics. It also allows us to understand and analyze the motion of particles and systems in both classical and quantum mechanics.

3. How is momentum conserved in collisions?

In collisions, momentum is conserved by the principle of action and reaction. This means that the total momentum of the objects before the collision is equal to the total momentum of the objects after the collision. In elastic collisions, where there is no loss of energy, the total momentum remains the same. In inelastic collisions, some of the energy is lost, but the total momentum is still conserved.

4. Can momentum be transferred between objects?

Yes, momentum can be transferred between objects through interactions such as collisions or forces. When two objects interact, the momentum of one object can be transferred to the other object, resulting in a change in their velocities. This transfer of momentum is what allows objects to move and change direction.

5. How does momentum conservation relate to Newton's laws of motion?

Momentum conservation is closely related to Newton's laws of motion. Newton's first law states that an object at rest will remain at rest, and an object in motion will continue in motion unless acted upon by an external force. This is essentially the principle of momentum conservation, where an object will maintain its momentum unless acted upon by an external force. Newton's second law also relies on momentum conservation, as it states that the force acting on an object is equal to the rate of change of its momentum.