A problem from probability

• Thread starter philosophking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary, the conversation discusses a probability problem involving randomly throwing a point on a cartesian plane divided by an infinite line. The answer to the problem is not 1/2, and it is suggested that a legitimate distribution function must be defined in order to solve it. The probability for each half plane will depend on the relationship between the line and the distribution function.
philosophking
Hey guys, I'm pretty sure this problem is from probability, but I have no idea how to approach it.

The other day my friend gave me this problem:

Say you have the cartesian plane (R^2), and you take some infinite line that divides the plane up into two half-planes. Say I now randomly throw a point down on the plane: what is the probability that the point will land on one side of the plane?

My friend said I'd be surprised at the answer because it's not 1/2, but then my question is, what would be the answer? It sounds like it would be something from measure theoretic probability, but I've never studied that (nor basic probability, actually).

The reason I thought to post this was that there was a question similar to this one that was posted in this forum a while back. Would the answer to this problem be zero, because there are infinitely many points?

What kind of assumptions would have to be made to make this problem solvable, if it is not solvable already?

Thanks for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
The basic problem with your example is that throwing a point on the plane cannot be done from a uniform distribution - you can't define one for an infinite plane, or an infinite line in one dimension. Therefore you must define a legitimate distribution function. The probability for each half plane will depend on the relationship between the line and the distribution function.

Okay, thanks a lot!

1. What is probability?

Probability is a measure of the likelihood that an event will occur. It is typically expressed as a number between 0 and 1, where 0 indicates impossibility and 1 indicates certainty.

2. How is probability calculated?

The probability of an event is calculated by dividing the number of favorable outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes. This is known as the classical definition of probability.

3. What is a normal distribution?

A normal distribution is a common type of probability distribution that follows a bell-shaped curve. It is characterized by a mean, median, and mode that are all equal and symmetrical distribution of data around the mean.

4. What is the difference between theoretical and empirical probability?

Theoretical probability is based on mathematical calculations and assumes that all outcomes are equally likely. Empirical probability is based on observations and experiments, and takes into account real-life variations and biases.

5. How is probability used in real life?

Probability is used in many real-life situations, such as predicting the likelihood of a certain event occurring, making informed decisions based on data, and designing experiments. It is also used in fields such as finance, insurance, and weather forecasting.