A problem involving direction cosines (Vector Algebra)

In summary, the right angle in the figure is caused by the perpendicular lines drawn from points A and P to the axis X.
sahilmm15
In the below figure how triangle OAP is right angled. I have imagined everything but I cannot imagine angle A as right angled. Thanks!

Attachments

• 1608274929113590618915933762505.jpg
    1608274929113590618915933762505.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 149
Physics news on Phys.org
Notice they show a rectangular prism and OA, OB, and OC are the edges of this prism.

Angles AOB, AOC, and BOC are all right angles as a given of the three unit vector OA, OB and OC all being perpendicular to one another.

AP is a diagonal of one of the faces and the OAP is a right angle since that face is parallel to the plane containing the angle BOC.

Try building a model using a cardboard box and define one corner on the base as O and the opposing corner on the top as P. By opposing I mean follow the vertical edge and then at the top of the box follow a diagonal to the opposite corner.

Yes, in fact, notice that OA is parallel to the base vector ##\vec x##, while AP is parallel to the plane defined by the vectors ##\vec y## and ##\vec z## (i.e. AP is a linear combination of ##\vec y## and ##\vec z##).
So, if by assumption you are in a orthogonal base, then OA must be orthogonal to AP.

sahilmm15 said:
In the below figure how triangle OAP is right angled. I have imagined everything but I cannot imagine angle A as right angled. Thanks!
Note that both points A and P are contained in the same vertical plane.
That vertical lane is perpendicular to axis X.
That vertical plane is also perpendicular to the horizontal plane containing points A, B and O, as well to the vertical plane containing points A, C and O.

For the above reasons, a horizontal projection of the triangle OAP on the horizontal plane ABO will show a right angle, just like a projection of the triangle on the vertical plane ACO will.

1. What are direction cosines?

Direction cosines are the cosines of the angles between a given vector and the three coordinate axes. They are used to describe the direction of a vector in three-dimensional space.

2. How do you find the direction cosines of a vector?

To find the direction cosines of a vector, you can divide the components of the vector by its magnitude. This will give you the cosines of the angles between the vector and the x, y, and z axes.

3. What is the relationship between direction cosines and unit vectors?

Direction cosines and unit vectors are closely related. The direction cosines of a vector are equal to the components of a unit vector in the same direction. In other words, the direction cosines are the cosines of the angles between the vector and the unit vectors in the x, y, and z directions.

4. How are direction cosines used in vector algebra?

Direction cosines are used in vector algebra to perform operations such as addition, subtraction, and scalar multiplication. They can also be used to find the dot product and cross product of two vectors.

5. Can direction cosines be negative?

Yes, direction cosines can be negative. This indicates that the vector is pointing in the opposite direction of the corresponding coordinate axis. However, the direction cosines of a unit vector must always be positive.