Can an Analytic Expression be Found for this Infinite Series with x>1?

In summary, the conversation is about a math problem involving an infinite series and the speaker is seeking help from others. They provide a suggested solution that may not be accurate and apologize for any sarcastic remarks. They also ask for assistance from someone with more knowledge in math. It is unclear if the problem has a solution or not.
godistring
I don't know how to get a analytic expression of this infinite series:
[tex]\sum_{n=0}^{+\infty} \frac{1}{1+x^n}[/tex]
here [tex]x>1[/tex].

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Probably completely useless- but

S=1/2+1/([x^1.2]-1)

gives an empirically reasonable fit

Get that smart *** Gib Z to have a go.

lol what did I do >.< I can't tell if that's derogatory or a compliment..

Gib Z said:
lol what did I do >.< I can't tell if that's derogatory or a compliment..

The 'smart' bit is a compliment, the *** bit- not so much.

lol but as a whole? Did I say something mean? If so I am sorry >.<

Gib Z said:
lol but as a whole? Did I say something mean? If so I am sorry >.<

It's all a compliment! Just in a snarky way. Don't worry- I just express myself sarcastically. I thought you might know the answer to the above math problem. Sorry if I worried you!

Lol its alright, Just trust me I'm working on it as i type. Looks familiar :)

Ok I stuck here lol. What level of mathematics did you get this question from, and are you sure it even has a solution?

Have you done Hyper geometric series yet?

EDIT: Forget the hypergeometric series, all I get is nested series.

Last edited:
Please some Admins or someone better at math than me, help me! Seeing as the OP hasn't come back yet and has only 1 post, maybe this person found out the question has no solution...

1. What is an infinite series?

An infinite series is a sum of an infinite number of terms. The terms in an infinite series can be numbers, variables, or more complex expressions, and the series is said to converge if the sum of its terms approaches a finite value as the number of terms increases.

2. How is an infinite series related to calculus?

Infinite series are used in calculus to represent functions as a sum of infinitely many terms. This allows for the analysis and manipulation of functions that would otherwise be difficult to work with. Infinite series are also used to approximate values of functions, which is particularly useful in real-world applications.

3. What is the difference between an infinite series and a finite series?

The main difference between an infinite series and a finite series is the number of terms. A finite series has a limited, finite number of terms, while an infinite series has an infinite number of terms. Additionally, a finite series will have a specific sum, while an infinite series may or may not converge to a finite value.

4. How do you determine if an infinite series converges or diverges?

There are various methods for determining the convergence or divergence of an infinite series, including the comparison test, the integral test, and the ratio and root tests. These methods involve evaluating the behavior of the terms in the series and determining if they approach a finite value or increase without bound.

5. What are some real-world applications of infinite series?

Infinite series have a wide range of applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and finance. They can be used to model and analyze various phenomena, such as the motion of objects, electrical circuits, and stock market trends. Infinite series also play a crucial role in the development of numerical methods for solving complex problems in these fields.