A Problem on Thermal Equilibrium

In summary: For example, if one has Teq and Tc, one can substitute Teq into the equation for the equivalent length, and solve for Tc. Or, if one has Tc and Teq, one can substitute Tc into the equation for the equivalent length, and solve for Teq.
smallbadwolf
The problem is

An aluminum rod with cross-sectional area 0.0400 cm^2 and length 80.00 cm at a temperature of 140.0 Celcius is laid alongside a copper rod of cross-sectional area 0.0200 cm^2 and length 79.92 cm at temperature T. The two rods are laid alongside each other so that they are in thermal contact. No heat is lost to the surroundings, and after they have come to thermal equilibrium, they are observed to be the same length. Calculate the original temperature T of the copper rod and the final temperature of the rods after they come to equilibrium.

I tried using the MCAT equation (Q = mc X Delta T) but I can't seem to derive a formula that works for the lengths of TWO objects in thermal equilbrium. In my textbook there is a formula that says that

The Change in the Length = Alpha X Initial Length X The Change in Temperature

I'm not sure if this helps, but I have worked hard on this problem, and asked several people for advice, ultimately gaining no progress. My book has the answers, but I need to know how to solve this one, not just the answer. But if it helps, the answer is:

89.7 Degrees Celcius for the Original Temperature of Copper.
119.2 Degrees Celcius for the final temperature of the two rods after they come to equilbrium.

Thanks to all that help me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Eq. 1) Q = m cp [itex]\Delta\,T[/itex]

and

Eq. 2) [itex]\Delta l[/itex] = [itex]\alpha\,\Delta\,T[/itex], where [itex]\alpha[/itex] is the thermal expansion coefficient of the material.

Let Th = the initial 140°C.

One has to find Teq (i.e. equilibrium), and Tc (i.e. cold). And one has two equations.

The heat lost from Al has to equal heat absorbed by copper.

[itex]\Delta T[/itex] (Al) = Th - Teq
[itex]\Delta T[/itex] (Cu) = Tc - Teq

If one needs to find mass, it is just density * volume.

One also knows that the length at Teq is the same for both rods, so that gives a second equation with Th, Teq, and Tc by virtue of Eq. 2.

But how does one find [tex]T_c[/tex]?
Also, I regret mentioning that I was given the following values:
[tex] P_a [/tex] = 2.7 X 10^3 Kg / m^3
[tex] C_a [/tex] = 910 J/Kg-k
[tex] P_c [/tex] = 8.4 X 10 ^3 Kg/ m^3
[tex] C_c [/tex] = 390 J/ Kg-k
Coefficient of Linear Expansion for Aluminum:
2.4 X 10^(-5)
Coefficient of Linear Expansion for Copper:
1.7 X 10^(-5)

Last edited:
If one writes the thermal equilibrium equation in terms of Tc and Teq, and one writes the equation for the equivalent length in terms of the same temperatures, then one has two equations and two unknowns, which one wishes to find.

One can use direct substitution, to find either temperature.

1. What is thermal equilibrium?

Thermal equilibrium is a state in which two objects or systems are at the same temperature and there is no net exchange of heat between them. This means that the energy of the particles in both objects is balanced and there is no temperature difference between them.

2. What factors affect thermal equilibrium?

The factors that affect thermal equilibrium include the temperature of the objects, the material they are made of, and the presence of any insulating layers. Other factors such as surface area, pressure, and the environment can also play a role in thermal equilibrium.

3. Why is thermal equilibrium important?

Thermal equilibrium is important because it allows for a stable and balanced state between objects or systems. It also allows for the transfer of heat energy, which is essential for many processes in nature and technology.

4. How is thermal equilibrium achieved?

Thermal equilibrium can be achieved through contact between two objects or systems, such as placing them in physical contact or allowing them to exchange heat through a medium. It can also be achieved through insulation, where there is no exchange of heat between the objects.

5. What are some real-world examples of thermal equilibrium?

Some real-world examples of thermal equilibrium include a cup of hot coffee placed on a table, where the coffee and the table reach the same temperature through contact, and a thermos that keeps hot liquids hot and cold liquids cold by using insulation to maintain thermal equilibrium.