A problem with a septimal system.

• Thread starter usermath
  • Start date
  • Tags
    System
In summary, a septimal system is a numerical system based on the number seven, with benefits such as easier division and connections to ancient cultures. However, it is not widely recognized and can be challenging to communicate and translate between septimal and decimal systems. Real-world applications include music theory and engineering calculations, and ongoing research and discussions are being conducted to promote its use in mainstream mathematics.
usermath
I'm reading a textbook of mathematics 'What is mathematics?' and I've got a problem with septimal system.

Symbol 10416 in the septimal system denote 2610 (decimal system).

[itex] 1*7^4+0*7^3+4*7^2+1*7+6 = 2610 [/itex]

But I can't understand why 7416 in the septimal system denote 2610 too.

[itex] 7*7^3+4*7^2+1*7+6 = 2610 [/itex]

Where is my mistake?

Physics news on Phys.org
In base N you only use numbers 0 to N-1.

Examples:
Binary (base 2): 0 and 1
Decimal (base 10): 0 to 9
etc

The digit "7" does not exist in the septimal system.

ehild

Ok. I see. In the septimal system a base is 7 i.e. 0 to 6. I thought 1 to 7. It was my mistake.

Thanks for your answers.

Also, 7*7^3 = 7^4, whatever system you are using.

7*7^3 = 7^4

Thank you.

1. What is a septimal system?

A septimal system is a numerical system based on the number seven. It uses seven as its base instead of the commonly used base ten system.

2. What are the benefits of using a septimal system?

Using a septimal system allows for easier division of numbers, as seven has more factors than ten. It also has connections to ancient cultures and can provide a new perspective on mathematical concepts.

3. What is the problem with a septimal system?

The main problem with a septimal system is that it is not widely used or recognized, making it difficult to communicate and perform calculations with others who are not familiar with it. It can also be challenging to translate between septimal and decimal systems.

4. Are there any real-world applications for a septimal system?

While not commonly used, there are some instances where a septimal system is used in music theory, particularly in the study of music intervals and tuning systems. It has also been proposed as an alternative to the decimal system in certain engineering calculations.

5. Is there ongoing research on a septimal system?

Yes, there are ongoing studies and discussions about the benefits and drawbacks of using a septimal system in various fields, as well as efforts to promote its use and integration into mainstream mathematics.