1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I A proper Thermodynamic system

1. Nov 11, 2016 #1

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

I have this question that in it there's this expression "A proper Thermodynamic system".

I thought that means that the first law (or is it the second) that ##dS \ge 0##, i.e. the change of entropy always increase.

But I am not sure, can someone clear to me this matter?

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2016 #2
    Have you tried looking it up? Your question can be answered in a second of searching on the internet.

4. Nov 11, 2016 #3

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

I tried searching google, and didn't find the exact phrasing:"A proper Thermodynamic system" then what is it?

5. Nov 11, 2016 #4
    I guess I didn't understand your question. I thought you were confused by what the first and second laws of thermodynamics are, since you got them mixed up above. You still should look them up for that reason.
    I think you are expecting a technical definition for "proper thermodynamic system", when it just means proper "thermodynamic system", where proper is just a non-technical English word, and thermodynamic system is just a system that obeys thermodynamics, which is basically anything that isn't some make-believe model.

6. Nov 11, 2016 #5

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

I have this question which I don't know how to start with and the teacher assistant isn't well responsive in the email.

Maybe you know better than me:

We have: the equations of system: ##u =3/2 pv , p=av T^n##, I first was ask to find ##T(u,v), p(u,v)## which I found (##n## is an integer and ##a## some constant).
    Now I am asked to find for which values of ##n## is the system a proper theormodynamic system?

I thought of using ##dS \ge 0## in the end I got that: ##n \ge constant/ (av^3 \ln T)##, I thought that since should be valid for every ##T>0## then when ##T\ to \infty## we get: ##n \ge 0##, but I am not sure.

Do you know of this problem before?
    I searched my reference with no help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted