A query in integration using method of substitution

In summary, one would need to search for an "integral calculator" on the Internet to solve the problem. Once found, following the instructions provided should solve the problem.
Wrichik Basu
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member

Homework Statement

:[/B]

I was learning the use of standard forms in method of substitution in solving integration. My book has given this method for solving integrals of the type ##\int \frac{lx +m}{ax^2+bx+c} dx##:

20180225_110139.png

As an example, the book gives this one:

20180225_105236.png

Homework Equations

:[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

How does one solve to get the circled part? I can understand that the book is separating the two parts of the numerator. I also know how to solve the second part, but how does one reach the circled part?

Attachments

• 20180225_105236.png
    20180225_105236.png
    64.8 KB · Views: 425
  • 20180225_110139.png
    20180225_110139.png
    77.1 KB · Views: 877
Physics news on Phys.org
For ##k_1\int \frac {2ax+b} {ax^2+bx+c}\, dx## you need another substitution.

Arman777 said:
For ##k_1\int \frac {2ax+b} {ax^2+bx+c}\, dx## you need another substitution.
Even I was thinking that. How do I solve that part: ##k_1 \int \frac{2ax +b}{ax^2+bx+c} dx##? As per the book, I do not require another substitution. So, how should I proceed with that part?

Searching the Internet for something called an "integral calculator", I found one, and it showed me the steps properly:

20180225_112639.png

This solves my problem. The book had done it in one step, which is why I was facing the problem.

Attachments

• 20180225_112639.png
    20180225_112639.png
    31.1 KB · Views: 883
It's nice but it would be better If you work by yourself and find the solution. Anyways yes, that's how you do it.

Wrichik Basu said:
Searching the Internet for something called an "integral calculator", I found one, and it showed me the steps properly:

View attachment 221031

This solves my problem. The book had done it in one step, which is why I was facing the problem.

When you are a beginner, just starting to learn the subject, you should avoid such on-line tools (except, possibly to check your work). You will never figure out how to do integrals without doing lots of examples by hand and without assistance from computer-aided integration tools. Think of it this way: what would you do on an exam, where you have no access to such facilities?

Likes Arman777
Ray Vickson said:
When you are a beginner, just starting to learn the subject, you should avoid such on-line tools (except, possibly to check your work). You will never figure out how to do integrals without doing lots of examples by hand and without assistance from computer-aided integration tools. Think of it this way: what would you do on an exam, where you have no access to such facilities?
I solve problems from at least two books before proceeding to a new topic. Help materials like online calculators help in self study and nothing else, especially when you're stuck at a problem you just can't solve.

The expression to be integrated is a linear function divided by quadratic. A linear function is the derivative of a quadratic. So if you were lucky the numerator would be the derivative of the denominator, i.e. the expression to be integrated wrt x would be ##\dfrac {f'\left( x\right) }{f\left( x\right) }## which I presume you know how to do. In this case we are as usual not so lucky, but we can make it into a linear part which is part which is derivative of the denominator (just hammering the constants) with some other constant leftover – that second part then being a constant divided by a quadratic which we know how to integrate. Well actually many people would think that second part is the most difficult one.

Likes Wrichik Basu

What is the method of substitution in integration?

The method of substitution is a technique used in calculus to evaluate integrals. It involves replacing a variable in the integrand with a new variable, and then solving for the new variable in terms of the original variable. This new variable is then substituted back into the integral, making it easier to solve.

How do you use the method of substitution to evaluate an integral?

To use the method of substitution, you first identify a variable in the integrand that can be replaced with a new variable. Then, you make a substitution by setting the new variable equal to the original variable and solving for it in terms of the original variable. Finally, you substitute this new variable back into the integral and solve for the original variable.

What are the benefits of using the method of substitution in integration?

The method of substitution can make evaluating integrals easier and more manageable. It can also help in solving integrals that would be difficult or impossible to solve using other integration techniques.

What are some common mistakes when using the method of substitution?

One common mistake when using the method of substitution is forgetting to substitute the new variable back into the integral after solving for it. Another mistake is incorrectly solving for the new variable, which can lead to incorrect results.

Can the method of substitution be used for all integrals?

No, the method of substitution is not always applicable to all integrals. It is most useful when the integrand contains a function that can be easily integrated, or when the integrand can be simplified by making a substitution.