A question about Change in Momentum

In summary, the conversation revolves around calculating the braking force needed to bring a car with a mass of 1,000kg and a velocity of 20 m/s to a halt in 10 seconds. The formula m2v2-m1v1 is used to calculate the force, resulting in a value of -2,000 N. The group discusses whether this is the correct value and the significance of the negative sign, with the conclusion that it represents the force opposing the motion of the car.
galoshes
I have an answer to this question and then a question:

A car with a mass of 1,000kg moves at 20 m/s. What is the braking force needed to bring the car to a halt in 10s.

I used m2v2-m1v1 and came up with -20,000 kg(m/s)
then -20,000kg(m/s)/10s

I came up with -2,000 N

Is this right? Does the negative mean slowing down?
Am I even on the right path?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I agree with you answer. I believe the negative sign is correctly in place because say that car is traveling 20 m/s to the right taken as the positive direction, and we know acceleration is going to be negative. From Newton 2nd law F=ma, F will be in the same direction of a.

thanks for the response. I hope I am right too, it's for a grade.

thanks again

galoshes said:
I have an answer to this question and then a question:

A car with a mass of 1,000kg moves at 20 m/s. What is the braking force needed to bring the car to a halt in 10s.

I used m2v2-m1v1 and came up with -20,000 kg(m/s)
then -20,000kg(m/s)/10s

I came up with -2,000 N

Is this right? Does the negative mean slowing down?
Am I even on the right path?

u = 20, v = 0 , t=10, a =?

v = u + at
0 = 20 + 10a
-20=10a
a=-20/10
a=-2m/s/s.

F=ma
F=1000x2
F=2000N, opposing the motion of the car.

yeah...knowledge of power...you calculations look fine to me...as force is a vector, so a negative value should simply mean that it is opposite to the motion of the car.

What is momentum?

Momentum is a physical quantity that describes the motion of an object. It is defined as the product of an object's mass and velocity. In simpler terms, it is a measure of how difficult it is to stop an object from moving.

What is change in momentum?

Change in momentum, also known as impulse, is the measure of how much an object's momentum has changed as a result of an external force acting on it. It is equal to the force applied multiplied by the time it acts for.

What causes a change in momentum?

A change in momentum is caused by an external force acting on an object. This external force can be applied by another object, such as a collision, or by a non-contact force, such as gravity or magnetic force.

How is change in momentum related to force?

According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, force is equal to the rate of change in momentum. This means that the greater the force applied, the greater the change in momentum will be.

Can momentum be conserved?

Yes, momentum can be conserved in a closed system where there are no external forces acting on the objects. This means that the total momentum before a collision or interaction will be equal to the total momentum after the collision or interaction.