A question about current density in finite element analysis

In summary, the conversation is discussing the use of current density and Maxwell's equations when there are multiple current sources present. The individual is trying to determine which value to use and if the superposition principle needs to be applied. They are also considering the effects of ferromagnetic materials and how they may complicate the problem. The conversation suggests that this is a non-trivial problem and may require simplifying assumptions or may be very difficult to solve in the general case. Additional resources are recommended for further reading and understanding of the problem.
JH_1870
I know that if there is only one conductor providing the current density, then the current density can be used.

elcore.PNG

But if you apply Maxwell's equation when there are multiple current sources, I don't know which value to use.

This is not an analysis using a tool, but a problem when I develop the code myself.

Should I calculate all the values for multiple independent sources and then add them up?

bio.PNG

Where J is the applied current density. Is it correct to use the applied current density when calculating the magnetic potential in the iron core?

And, when there are several applied current densities, is it necessary to apply the superposition principle to solve them?

Physics news on Phys.org
This appears to be a very non-trivial problem that you are trying to solve. For problems with ferromagnetic materials, sometimes the geometry involved leads to simplifying assumptions, particularly in the case of transformers. You might find some good reading in this thread, along with some of the "links" that are referenced: https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/magnetic-flux-is-the-same-if-we-apply-the-biot-savart.927681/
For the general case of magnetic materials with currents in conductors, I think it may be a very difficult problem that you are trying to tackle.

Just an additional comment or two: This type of problem can not be solved as a perturbation with a small response and source generated from the ferromagnetic material. Instead, in many cases, the response of the ferromagnetic material may be many and many times larger than the original source from the free currents in the conductor. Perhaps others may also comment, but this is my take on this problem.

1. What is current density in finite element analysis?

Current density in finite element analysis refers to the measure of electric current per unit area in a material. It is a vector quantity that represents the direction and magnitude of the flow of electric charge.

2. Why is current density important in finite element analysis?

Current density is important in finite element analysis as it allows for the accurate calculation of the distribution of electric current within a material. This information is crucial in understanding the behavior of electrical systems and designing efficient devices.

3. How is current density calculated in finite element analysis?

Current density is calculated by dividing the total electric current passing through a given area by the area itself. In finite element analysis, this is done by discretizing the material into small elements and calculating the current density at each element using numerical methods.

4. What factors can affect current density in finite element analysis?

Several factors can affect current density in finite element analysis, including the material properties, geometry and boundary conditions of the system, and the distribution of electric charge within the material.

5. How can current density be visualized in finite element analysis?

Current density can be visualized in finite element analysis using contour plots, vector plots, or streamlines. These graphical representations help to visualize the distribution of electric current within the material and identify any areas of high or low current density.