A question about photoconductivity and photoresistors

• Thread starter ShayanJ
  • Start date
In summary, the process of photoconductivity involves light causing electrons in a semiconductor to jump to the conduction band, increasing its conductivity. The question is whether there is a material that can undergo this process with red light in the visible spectrum, and how to find it. The answer is that any semiconductor with a band gap lower than the photon energy of the light can work, such as silicon used in solar cells. This is different from the photoelectric effect, where electrons are kicked out of a metal to create a current. The desired material would have a band gap equal to or lower than the energy of a red light photon, such as silicon which has a band gap of 1.1eV.
ShayanJ
Insights Author
Gold Member
In the process of photoconductivity,light incident on a semiconductor,causes some of its electrons to jump to the conduction band and so,increases the semiconductor's conductivity.Now my question is,Is there a material for which,such process may happen by incident lights in the visible spectrum,more specifically,by red light?If yes,how can I find out what is it?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
E.g. silicon. Never used a solar cell?
More generally this works with any semiconductor for which the band gap is lower than the photon energy of the light.

I think you're talking about photoelectric effect and the word «band gap» in your post,must be replaced by «work function».
I don't think photoelectric effect can help me,especially that a red light photon has an energy near 2eV,but if you look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Work_function#Measurement ,you will see that the work function of all of the elements listed,is greater than 2.
The thing I was talking about is different from photoelectric effect.In photoelectric effect,the electrons struck by photons,are kicked out of the metal and by reaching the conductor on the opposite side,create a current.But in photoconductivity,electrons remain in the semiconductor and just change their energy level,reaching the conduction band.

No, I was not talking about the photoelectric effect. In solar cells, photoresistors etc, electrons are lifted to the conduction band.

Oh...I thought they just use photoelectric effect...thanks...
Anyway,the material I need,should have a band gap which is lower than or equal to the energy of a red light photon,i.e. 1.67eV-2eV.How can I find such specific materials?
Thanks

I searched a little and...Well,looks like,as you said in the first place,silicon is OK.
Thanks

FAQ: A question about photoconductivity and photoresistors

1. What is photoconductivity?

Photoconductivity is the ability of a material to conduct electricity when exposed to light. This is due to the generation of free charge carriers (electrons and holes) when the material absorbs photons of light.

2. How do photoresistors work?

Photoresistors, also known as light-dependent resistors, work by changing their resistance in response to light. When light shines on the photoresistor, more charge carriers are generated, which increases the conductivity of the material and decreases its resistance.

3. What are the applications of photoconductivity and photoresistors?

Photoconductivity and photoresistors have a wide range of applications, including light sensors in cameras, automatic lighting control, and solar cells. They are also used in photocopiers, barcode scanners, and light meters.

4. How does the wavelength of light affect photoconductivity?

The wavelength of light can affect photoconductivity as different materials have different absorption spectra. This means that certain materials may have a higher photoconductivity at specific wavelengths of light, while others may not be affected at all.

5. Can photoconductivity be controlled?

Yes, photoconductivity can be controlled by adjusting the intensity and wavelength of the light source. Additionally, the use of materials with different bandgap energies can also control the level of photoconductivity. This allows for the customization of photoresistors for specific applications.